20071011

Discipleship in cyberspace

While I was reading through the blogs I frequent (see side bar for the links) I found out that Susan (author of the "Learning for Lifetime" blog) awarded me the "Mathetes Award". This award was started by a man named Dan King of Management by God as a way to recognize and encourage others. The name "Mathetes" comes from the Greek word for disciple, and the role of the disciple is to make yet more disciples (Matthew 28:18-20). The intention of this award is to recognize five other blogs that have encouraged you in your walk with Christ (or in a way, discipled you). For my part the five blogs that have inspired me are:

Alise: I have really come to appreciate this woman's desire to worship God. I have been blessed to read through her struggles as a SAHM, worship team member, worship team leader, and lay(wo)man within her church at "Big Mama's Blog". We have similar life struggles and her candor and heart for God have been a blessing to me.

Dave Cruver: Dave has been a blessing to me through his blog, "To Tell the Truth", by expounding upon a wide variety of topics, but I love his love for the gospel of Christ. His blogs are always insightful and helpful, and he does a wonderful job of explaining what he believes, and why he believes it. I often come away from reading his blog contemplating some "piece of the puzzle". His blog is also a wonderful resource for other websites.

Thabiti Anyabwile: Thabiti is the author of the blog "Pure Church". A former Muslim who has come to love the Savior Jesus Christ, I learned about him through the "Together for the Gospel" blog (a group of Pastors from a variety of denominations). He really has a way of unfolding what he believes, and why. He has also been very helpful to me by giving me a point of view on some topics that I might otherwise not have seen.

Eric "Gunny" Hartman: As the author of "Semper Reformunda" Eric has been a relatively new addition to my "frequent visit" list of blogs, but I have grown to appreciate his words of wisdom. He has encouraged me, by challanging me in what he has to say.

Amy: This woman has been an encouragement to me in my life, but not in typical ways one might expect to be. Her blog entries at "How Do I Find My Way", and through sharing prayer requests, have really helped me to see and understand some things in my own life. Her struggles with being a single mother, trying to make ends meet, successes, failures, and just where she is in life and society have really opened my eyes to more than a few things. She has been both a means of grace received in my life, and a means for me to exercise some gifts.

There are others, and it was very difficult to pick out a "top five". I really wanted to "tag back" Susan, but felt that would not be fair. :) Thank you Susan for the kind award, thank you Dan for creating it as a means to encourage others to both be discipled, and to disciple others. I am honored, and humbled, that my blog would have an impact on anyone. May God continue to use me as He sees fit, and may He continue to use both Susan's blog, the blogs that I have listed as a being a blessing to me, and all those who call Him Lord, to further His kingdom for His glory. amen



Verse for today:
Matthew 28:16-20, ESV
Now the eleven disciples went to Galilee, to the mountain to which Jesus had directed them. And when they saw him they worshiped him, but some doubted. And Jesus came and said to them, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in [2] the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age.”

5 comments:

Alise said...

Thank you for the recognition. It certainly means a lot to me. After all of the crazy garbage of this past year, I'm amazed that anyone still reads, let alone is encouraged! I really appreciate your kind comments.

Love you, my brother!

~A

Susan said...

You've given me some great blogs to visit here. And thank you for your kind comments!!

Blessings.

:-) Susan

GUNNY said...

Samurai,

I appreciate your kind words, though I have to think you either (a) made a mistake or (b) were REALLY scraping the bottom of the barrel to come up with a 5th!

;-)

I'm overwhelmed by your encouraging words and they are very much appreciated.

Thanks and keep up the good work on your blog and in your dedication to fight for His honor.

Soli Deo gloria,
Gunny

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

I am going to check out every single one of these. thanks for the info. And you deserve the award.

FellowElder said...

Brother, thank you for the kind mention and comment on the blog. I am grateful for the encouragement and that God would encourage anyone with anything he gives me the privilege of doing.

May the Lord sweeten your fellowship with Him.
Thabiti