20071024

How many spinning plates are too many?

I think I am stretching myself too thin... here is, what I hope, a short list of what I've been working on lately:

1) I am planning on a weekend getaway with my beloved for next Spring. She has expressed a desire to go to Hershey, PA. We want to get "his and hers" massages, eat out at a nice resteraunt, do a puzzle together, and spend some one-on-one time. When I mentioned to her that the Park would not be open, she told me, "that's alright. We're not going for sight seeing." *sigh* I Love that woman. :) To be honest, I don't want to get my expectations all set up, because it will take way too long for the day to get here, and then the weekend will fly by way too fast.

2) I have at least three short stories running around in my head right now, and I can't seemed to get any of them sorted out and down on paper (or typed up in a Word document). One has to do with a small band of down-and-out sorts who stumble upon an old abandoned town and find out that it's inhabited by zombie-like cyborgs. Another is a back ground piece for a faction within a faction that is "spun off" as a result of a small civil-war. The last one is about a nomad type who wakes up in the middle of an apocalyptic desert with limited knowledge of his past and stumbles across an old something-or-other that contains a copy the Bible. The result is he ends up traveling from shantytown to shantytown spreading the gospel.

3) Keeping my blog up to date... there are times when my real life just get in the way. You'd think it would just give me more material, but... it seems to just confuse me. :)

4) Keeping track of "soldier issues" for my unit. With most of my unit "upstream", and me filling in for the First Sergeant, I have had my hands full of between drill activities. Soldiers to follow up with. "Beans, Bullets, and Bodies" - that's my new job function, and I'm not fully trained as a Platoon Sergeant. I put it this way - it feels like I am being pulled behing a bus and I can't quite keep my feet underneath me. The "funny" thing is, my BC (Battery Commander) is encouraging me to get to ANCOC (Advanced Non-Commissioned Officer Course) next summer. The "problem" is that I would have to re-enlist to go so I told him that "...it's not just one of my life's priorities" right now. But in the meantime I plan on holding down the fort until the real 'First Shirt' gets back to resume his normal workload. Then it's off to the "old Soldier's Home" for me.

Well, look at the time... which I am out of... there's more, but... I hope you all have a blessed day...



Verse for today:
Proverbs 24:3-7, ESV
By wisdom a house is built,and by understanding it is established; by knowledge the rooms are filledwith all precious and pleasant riches. A wise man is full of strength,and a man of knowledge enhances his might, for by wise guidance you can wage your war,and in abundance of counselors there is victory. Wisdom is too high for a fool;in the gate he does not open his mouth.

1 comment:

Susan said...

It is entirely possible to have too many plates in the air. I am an "expert" at it. You are busy...I hope you are able to find time to rest and relax as well. The trip to Hershey sounds wonderful.

Susan