20071022

eBay, Capitalism's ultimate example

I have heard that anyone who sells things will sell their wares at the highest price that the market will bear. That is they will charge as much as they can for whatever they are selling. The only limitations that are placed on them is what their potential customers are willing to pay. eBay has to be the pentultimate example of this at work. I mean, where else would it be possible to see a used toilet plunger for sale!?! Has anyone else been "sniped" on eBay? You know what I'm talking about... you have found the perfect little gizmo, and it's reasonably priced at $19.99 too! You carefully place your bid and then wait for the auction to end, only to have someone come in at the 11th hour (and 59th minute) to outbid you, leaving you no chance to up your bid to some rediculous amount! I have been sniped, the sniper, and the wonderful recepient (being the occasional seller) of such a tactic. You can find almost anything on eBay. Has there been a movie that you just have to have, but for some reason all other retail outlets (you know, places like Suncoast or other outragously priced "brick & mortar" retailer) have been sold out for week? Look on eBay - chances are someone, somewhere, is selling it. But you have to be careful. Not all items are the real deal. Some are pirated movies, or are plain and simply not what you think they are. But if you are willing to be diligent in your research, careful in what you bid on, and willing to be patient - even to the point of being outbid time and time again - you can find some real gems. I remember once being "cold called" (via e-mail) about several cases of an out of print collectable card game (CCG for short). It was from a guy who recently bought an old kite shop, inventory and all, and had found them. All he wanted was $120.00 for the whole lot. I was reluctant, but in the end took him up on the offer. eBay helped me sell off most of cards, keeping just enough to have a game to try and play with DS1, and I still made a lot of money (ok, like $30 - but I could have made more if I was willing to sell them all). I have also found the occasional rare item that nobody else is really interested in, but for some reason I was. I highly encourage anyone who would like to bid on things... to be patient. Set the price in your mind that you are comfortable in paying, and then walk away of/when the bid out paces you. Be patient, wait until it comes up again - and it usually will. If you are always being outbid, re-evaluate what it's worth to you - but never, never, never allow youself get caught up in the "I have to have it!" mentality. I've done that... and it really hurts in the old pocketbook. :) Verse for today: Luke, 12:15-21, ESV And he said to them, “Take care, and be on your guard against all covetousness, for one's life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions.” And he told them a parable, saying, “The land of a rich man produced plentifully, and he thought to himself, ‘What shall I do, for I have nowhere to store my crops?’ And he said, ‘I will do this: I will tear down my barns and build larger ones, and there I will store all my grain and my goods. And I will say to my soul, Soul, you have ample goods laid up for many years; relax, eat, drink, be merry.’ But God said to him, ‘Fool! This night your soul is required of you, and the things you have prepared, whose will they be?’ So is the one who lays up treasure for himself and is not rich toward God.”

2 comments:

Alise said...

I'm just getting ready to post a mess of stuff up on eBay. I've definitely made a little extra spending money there, and now that I'm back home, I have the time to get some of this junk (to me!) unloaded. Woohoo!

Susan said...

I haven't used eBay all that much. The one time I did, I was so disappointed.

This is an interesting post, however that makes me think about the whole thing.

Susan