20071010

The Rubik's cube of my faith

This morning an interesting thought 'train' came through my mind. My knowledge of God, of His Word, is like a puzzle that I will be working on for the rest of my life. And it's a puzzle that every man and woman also work on. It's the same puzzle, but each one of us is working on our own individual one.

There are times when we interact with one another, when a piece of this puzzle - maybe set aside sometime back - is seen in a new light, and we can then maybe place that piece in its proper place (or vice verse, we are helping them put a piece in place).

The puzzle of course is our understanding of God - the One true God. Romans 1 talks about how all of creation speaks of Him, and so we are all working on this same puzzle. That does not mean we all worship the same god though.

And this puzzle, is not some simple little Rubik's cube either. It is a multi-layered, three dimensional, infinite piece puzzle. It could be called the MoaP (Mother of all Puzzles ;) ). Some days God is working on us in the section of humility, another day it may be dying to yourself, another may be worship of Him. And these sections are interlinked and sometimes we learn something new about God that 'disturbs' another section - but, if we know the guidlines we can better understand how to place the puzzle pieces.

For instance, God is omnipresent, omniscient , omnipotent, His Love is perfect, his wrath is just. It is impossible to decieve Him. He cannot contradict Himself (this one is very important). These 'guidlines' help, because if we think we know how a particular piece is to be layed out - but it contradicts something else - perhaps we need to revisit that other piece or section.

I love puzzles. Suduko, crossword, Rubik's cube, etc. And this is one I get to work on for the rest of my life - and on through eternity.



Verse for today:
Jerimiah 9:23-24, ESV
Thus says the Lord: “Let not the wise man boast in his wisdom, let not the mighty man boast in his might, let not the rich man boast in his riches, but let him who boasts boast in this, that he understands and knows me, that I am the Lord who practices steadfast love, justice, and righteousness in the earth. For in these things I delight, declares the Lord.”

1 comment:

Alise said...

Great insights! I too love puzzles (though Rubik's cubes completely stump me -- hubby has tried to teach me to do them and I just can't see it), and I know that I get frustrated when I get God "figured out" only to see how it doesn't work with the other thing I have "figured out." But it's a joy nevertheless.

And in mostly unrelated info, there's a new GROW puzzle. w00t! This one has 2 solutions and it's fun!