20071005

Speaking of books

Recently a visitor to my blog drew my attention to the book "The Way of the Christian Samurai" (not really sure why ;-) ) and I really enjoyed it (thus my review of it yesterday). I really do feel as though it is an easy enough read that most Christians could gain something from it.



But once I finished it, it actually made me thirsty for more - reading that is. I have had "The Cross of Christ" by John Stott for what seems like forever, but I have never read it. I need to start that... but that was not enough. No. I have gone to the well known as Amazon.com and order yet three more books (which I am sure my beloved will laugh, and cry about).

I have ordered, "Living the Cross Centered Life" and "Humility: True Greatness", both by CJ Mahaney. The first one is a follow on to "The Cross Centered Life: Keeping the Gospel the Main Thing" and I am really looking forward to seeing what Mr Mahaney has followed up with. While I was looking at this book I saw the second book. Having been fed under Pastor Mahaney when he was the senior Pastor of Covenant Life Church I can honestly say that he, along with all those in leadership with him, lived out the principles of humility. Pride is a constant foe in my life and when I saw this title I immediately wanted to purchase, and then devour this book.

The last book I've ordered was "Seduce Me"by Darcy Cole. As a Christian husband I feel that it is my duty to make sure that my own "lawn" is well maintained and thus there will be no need to covet my neighbors lawn - if you know what I mean. There are some raised eyebrows - especially in my National Guard unit - when people learn that I am overtly interested in the pursuit of intimacy with my beloved. They chide me like I am doing something sinful, but then I am not ashamed to declare my love and "interest" in my wife. After all, marriage is ordained by God. He has used it to give an example of His relationship with his church, and there is an entire book in the Bible dedicated to such a relationship. But to be totally honest, I felt that I needed a fresh perspective on how I could pursue my beloved better.

Now, to get off my duff (so to speak), knuckle down, and actually read some books that make me think and can make a difference in my life.



Verse for today:
2 Timothy 2:14-19, ESV
Remind them of these things, and charge them before God [1] not to quarrel about words, which does no good, but only ruins the hearers. Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, [2] a worker who has no need to be ashamed, rightly handling the word of truth. But avoid irreverent babble, for it will lead people into more and more ungodliness, and their talk will spread like gangrene. Among them are Hymenaeus and Philetus, who have swerved from the truth, saying that the resurrection has already happened. They are upsetting the faith of some. But God's firm foundation stands, bearing this seal: “The Lord knows those who are his,” and, “Let everyone who names the name of the Lord depart from iniquity.”

2 comments:

Alise said...

I think reading would probably help me with my blah feeling. Get some inspiration from those who are already inspired!

Susan said...

Well..you have chosen some VERY meaty reads there! And I don't think you should EVER be questioned for seeking after your own wife. That's a very cool thing that many wives cannot claim their husbands do. Bless you for working at blessing her.

I hope you have a wonderful weekend.

:-) Susan