I can usually tell when i am not feeling well. I have bizarre dreams, like being trapped on a billiard table and something is basically playing nine-ball with me trying to avoid getting knocked around. Last night i was back in the National Guard and getting deployed somewhere. The base we arrived at was mostly abandoned, but with all new buildings. The "barracks" i, and a lot of others, had been assigned to was a single family styled house... but it was like the crazy Lego houses i used to build when i was a kid. Stairways and doors that go nowhere, passageways way too small, that kind of thing. I don't have a fever that i know of, but i most definitely have not been getting good nights of sleep lately. Now that i think about it... i wonder if that dream was related to my blog from yesterday...
Ok, enough about me... it is now time for this week's Random Dozen...
1. Have you ever fired a gun or shot a bow and arrow? ~ Both actually. When my mother was dating an avid hunter type of fellow (who absolutely LOVED Bluegrass music by the way)we went to a Turkey Shoot one fall day. While i hadn't ask to, they entered me in the shooting competition. One shot at a target with a .12 gauge shotgun. Closest to the center would win. That thing knocked me off of the stump and on my backside. I will never forget the ringing in my ears. While i never went hunting with the fellow, i did appreciate what he did (in trying to include me in his family). Later on when i joined the Army National Guard i found i had already had some basics when it came to the marksmanship ~ qualified expert on my first go, and that was with a jam that cost me three rounds.
Later, when i tried a game called Dagorhir, i really got into archery. Of all my youthful hobbies, i regret not practicing this more and carrying it through into my adulthood. Specifically i prefer the recurve bow over the "stick" design, and much more than the compound variety.
2. Do you know where your childhood best friends are? ~ From before High School? I only ever remember one. Billy "Auto" L. I've made sporadic attempts at finding him again, but no success. Probably for the better, i was a real handful back then. But my High School friends, very much so. I am still best friends with one. I refer to him here in my blog as RAM. Our families still get together at least every other month, and our kids get along really well. His son and DS2 look a LOT alike. They are only a month a part in age, and we have had people come up to us and ask if they are twins. All of my other friends from High School, sans two, i have kept in touch with.
3. Do you usually arrive early, late, or on time? ~ My preference is to arrive no later then ten minutes prior to whatever it is, sometimes more. When my beloved and i first got married this was a huge "sticky" point between us. Mostly because of my own issues. As we have gone through life, and especially in working with trying to get the entire family anywhere, i have loosened up a little. My preference is still to be early, and i still struggle when we are running late (to anything), but i am not as 'rabid' as i used to be.
4. Are you more of a New York or California type? ~ I have lived in New York City, and i spent a few summers in California - i would consider myself more of the laid back California type. This is more based on the stereotypes of both regions than personal experience though.
5. Do you have a special ring tone? ~ I am not a big ringtone kind of guy, but yes i do. 8) In the past if it was an incoming call from work my phone would play the Death March, but now i use "Peace on Earth" by Casting Crowns. I just love that song, and it is quickly becoming a favorite especially around Christmas time.
6. What is your favorite type of chip? ~ I prefer AMD over Intel. Not because of quality, quite the contrary. I like to root for the little guy, and AMD usually has enough umph for what i want/need. But if i had to go high end, and have the absolute best, i would go with Intel. Oh, you were talking about like... chips and salsa... um... Baked Lays for just a plain chip, and Tostitos Scoops.
7. Best comedy you've ever seen is .... ~That is a really relative term. My opinions even vary from "season" to "season". Maybe my funny-bone is broken, but there is really no one "funniest", although... The Cosby Show was really constantly funny. Mr. Bill Cosby is always good for a laugh for me.
8. Have you ever cut your own hair? To quote Dr. Phil, "How'd that work for ya?" ~ All the time. I use a set of electric clippers and sled #'s 3, 2, 1. I usually have to have my beloved touch up the neck though. I haven't paid for a haircut since the mid 90's.
9. If you were going to have an extreme makeover, would you rather it be about your house or your personal self? ~ If you were to ask that question of my beloved i am sure there would be a part of her that would say me. But overall we would probably agree the house. Not that we don't love our house, but we would just like to get all of the walls painted, and maybe do a little bit more with what there is.
10. Are you allergic to anything? ~ Life. 8) Pollen, Dust, and a whatever a Dentist used to put me out when i was seventeen to take my wisdom teeth out. I was sick as a dog for three days. All i did was sleep, "purge" the stomach, and use the bathroom. I sucked on tea bags (Lipton blend) the whole time. Two days after that i was up and chopping wood to keep myself busy.
11. Why is it so hard to change? ~ Pride. In my opinion most of the issues "man" has are directly related to pride. It is in our nature to want what we want when and how we want it. Why should we change? Why can't everyone else just get used to the way we (i.e. I) am? In the end, it is harder to get something to move that is at rest than something that is in motion.
12. One last question dedicated to February love: CS Lewis said, "To love is to be vulnerable." Please share one example of that assertion or share any thought you'd like to about this topic. ~ For me it means admitting that i am wrong, even when my own pride rails against me doing so. Why? Because i am hopelessly in love with my beloved. I am me, and although there are things about me that she is not all that sure about, she loves me. What hurts the most is when i can tell she is disappointed in me, or she says something that i interpret that i am somehow deficient in some way. But at the end of the day, i am hers and she is mine.
13. (Bonus Question to make up for the one i didn't make up last week) Can You Taste The Difference Between Pepsi And Coke? ~ Not even close in my opinion. Some people say, "what does it matter". it matters. If i order a Coke at a restaurant and they ask, "is Pepsi OK"? I say, "no, thank you. I will have ice tea instead". Aside from the taste, Pepsi actually gives me a headache. Although, i once had a really warm Pepsi (picture it sitting in a car for over four hours, in the sun, on a sunny August afternoon), and it was REALLY good.
Linda is a great blogger, and she has the ability to change her layout often. I confess that i am a little covetous of her ability to both come up with content - not just for her blog, but for the articles she often writes and PUBLISHES. Even though i do not blog about the same things as she does, or as well as she does it (i've lost count how many times i've cringed at my own writing), she inspires me to improve. Thanks Linda!