20071018

Thomas Jonathon Jackson - aka "Stonewall"

For as long as I can remember I've had an affinity for the American Civil War (and by that I am referring to the one of the United States from 1861 until 1865 A.D.). Especially towards that of what was once called the Confederacy.

I'm not sure why really. Even my earliest memories about learning and studying of this war I remember knowing that slavery is (and was) wrong, and knowing full well that the morally correct side won (at least in that regards). Yet, I was (and am still today) was inspired by what the Southern soldiers, both private and officer alike, went through and accomplished. Sort of a sense of pride for what I perceived of some as-yet-unknown relative endured (I later found one such ancestor).

I have come to know that not everyone in the South supported slavery, and not all supported succession from the Union. But what they all did share was a love for their homeland, which was usually the state in which they were born into.

Two such leaders of the Confederacy were Generals Robert E. Lee, and "Stonewall" Jackson. Both men were men firm in their faith in God, and firm in their belief in what they were doing was the right thing to do. I've been reading the book "May I Quote You, Stonewall Jackson" and have really taken note of this man's convictions in regards to his faith and his philosophy towards war.

For example, there is a quote that says "A Chaplain should not be questioned as to what denomination he belongs to, but does he preach the Gospel!". And another in regards to his view of the war itself, "Every thing must be done to prevent war, but if that should fail the sword must be drawn and the scabbard tossed aside." (both of these are paraphrased as I forgot to bring the book with me today.) General Jackson was so devout in his faith (in one case he actually wrote a remorseful letter to his wife concerning a battle that took place on a Sunday where he says, "may it never have to happen again") that he was considered eccentric. He never shied away from proclaiming his faith, he never failed to let someone know where he stood in regards to his belief in his Lord Jesus Christ. I feel that the reason "Stonewall" was killed was because with him removed, General Lee would not be able to get the same kind of execution of the battle plans as with Jackson - and in the end, the loss of the war. At least sooner, rather than later. The only way the South could have won that war was if they had broken the will of the North to continue to wage war. Some believe if the South had won Gettysburg that is exactly what would have happened. I am not convinced of that, but then we will never know.

You will not see me running around with a Confederate Battle flag license plate, or attending some kind of rally wearing a bedsheet. I am convinced that, but God's providence, the Northern victory was the right outcome. President Lincoln's freeing of the salves was the right thing to do, even if it was not his original intention. But God has really been working on my heart of late. Especially in regards to dying to myself, discipline in life, and not always seeking out the 'softer' (or easier) road. In a very real sense, I see General TJ Jackson as a 19th century "samurai" in service to God.



Verse for today:
Ecclesiastes 7:8-13, ESV
Better is the end of a thing than its beginning,
and the patient in spirit is better than the proud in spirit.
Be not quick in your spirit to become angry,
for anger lodges in the bosom of fools.
Say not, “Why were the former days better than these?”
For it is not from wisdom that you ask this.
Wisdom is good with an inheritance,
an advantage to those who see the sun.
For the protection of wisdom is like the protection of money,
and the advantage of knowledge is that wisdom preserves the life of him who has it.
Consider the work of God:
who can make straight what he has made crooked?

1 comment:

Susan said...

I love reading about Civil War History...and I have to admit that I am enamored with the "southern lifestyle" in that time.

No, I don't agree with slavery...but there certainly was more to the story than that. And the fact that these were men of faith is interesting.

Thanks for the post...

Susan