20070510

Questions and Answers

With having a couple of inquires about the questions I exchange with my beloved I thought it might be a good idea to expound upon it. :) Last Fall I was finding that my beloved and I had less and less time to talk about things other than what we were doing that week, that night, or that minute. We would talk, but it was always about what we were going to do for dinner, what the plans were to get everyone to where they needed to go, who had homework, who would run to the store, etc. It was even more difficult to just take her away on a date night. I can't remember how the idea came to me, but I am pretty sure it was not 100% mine. What about exchanging e-mails with my beloved? I e-mail friends and family all the time, but why not with her? There were always questions that came to mind when I was away, but when we were together my mind was focused on something else. And there were questions that I wanted (or had in the past) that felt akward when I said them outloud (I know it should not be that way, but it is really hard to get over that sin nature). First I approached my beloved with the idea. She seemed cautiously agreeable. :) The basics are these: 1) We take turns asking questions. 2) No question is off limits. 3) You allow the other person to answer before asking another question. 4) There is a one week time 'limit' to answer questions. 5) All answers must be completely honest, even if they do not directly answer the question. Now, we have not follwed these guidlines to the letter. For example there have been times it has taken one of us more than a week to answer, and there have been times when I rattled off two questions in quick succession. But for the most part this has been pretty helpful. Over time my beloved has grown more comfortable answering some questions, and others she has been more willing to tell me that she was not ready to talk about such-and-such. I think this has been a wonderful way for me to work on my communication with my beloved. It will never replace "face time", and I still struggle to find time for a regular date night, but it is a good opportunity to talk about things that might otherwise never get talked about. Verse for today: Ephesians 5:25-30, ESV Husbands, love your wives, as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her, that he might sanctify her, having cleansed her by the washing of water with the word, so that he might present the church to himself in splendor, without spot or wrinkle or any such thing, that she might be holy and without blemish. [1] In the same way husbands should love their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself. For no one ever hated his own flesh, but nourishes and cherishes it, just as Christ does the church, because we are members of his body.

No comments: