20070516

Long Days

I hope what I am seeing is not really a trend, but more of... an anomoly. Lately I have been having very long days at work. For example today my day started with a phone call while I was in the shower... not too early, only 7:30. But I am still at work, and that does not look to change before 9:00 or so. I cannot, nor should I complain. I am a high school dropout, with no college degree. By God's grace I have completed my equivilancy degree and taken a few college courses. The job I have now is all of God's grace and provision. I was delivery pizzas after moving to the state I now live. I attempted to enroll in the local college only to be told that I was considered an 'out of state' student. I could not afford that so I did not enroll. Shotly after moving I was married to my beloved. The next attempt to enroll I was informed that as a Freshman I was required to live in the dorms (?!?). So I had to get a job. I liked deliverying pizzas, but it does not pay all that well. A college friend of my beloved told me about this "IT" job. The only qualifications were that I knew how to turn on a computer, move a mouse around in windows, and have basic troubleshooting skills! I got the job. It did not pay much better than the pizza job, but it had long term potential - and they paid for all of my training. One thing led to another and I now have a wonderful job where I am able to provide for my family of five with just my income. I never dreamed that I would have such a job, or be able to do what I am doing, but here I am. Now, I am praying that such long days do not become the norm as I want to be able to see my family. I do not want to become like the man in the "Casting Crowns" song American Dream. Verse for today: Luke 6:46-49, ESV Why do you call me ‘Lord, Lord,’ and not do what I tell you? Everyone who comes to me and hears my words and does them, I will show you what he is like: he is like a man building a house, who dug deep and laid the foundation on the rock. And when a flood arose, the stream broke against that house and could not shake it, because it had been well built. [3] But the one who hears and does not do them is like a man who built a house on the ground without a foundation. When the stream broke against it, immediately it fell, and the ruin of that house was great.”

No comments: