20070501

As the dust settles on the NFL draft

Ok, I know it is a change of pace. One minute I am talking about serious matters and the next the NFL. :) What can I say... it's how my brian works. :) Over all I am pretty happy with the Panthers draft this year. I was a little confused by Wayne Jarrett (WR) in the second round. I am not confused about if the man is a good football player or not. I was just confused as to why the Panthers took a WR in the second round. In hindsight, and after listening to the 'experts' it seems that it was a good choice over all. Really, only time will tell. I liked the Panther's first round trade to drop to 29th and take Jon Beason (LB). I watched the tape that the NFL channel had of this guy and he really does look like he will be a good fit - especially if Dan Morgan has trouble remaining healthy. I love Dan's heart, but his body does not seem to be able to keep cashing those checks his desire writes for him. I especially do not want Dan to continue to get concussions. Nothing is worth that. If Jon Beason is asa good as everyone says he is then he should be able to slide right into the defense. Center Ryan Kalil was an nice pick in my opinion. He looked a little 'off' in the workout shots I saw, but that could be a lack of working with the guy who was supposedly acting as the QB. But the Panther's offensive line really needs a chance to gel and for the men to stay in their roles throughout the season. I think those guys fight hard throughout the year, but I'd like to see them be more consistant - in their placement, not effort. As far as opening up holes... I can't really say how good a job they do since I do not get to see every game. And a lot of it really does have to do with how fast the backs can get to those holes and get through them. I know even less about the men taken in later rounds (Charles Johnson, Ryne Robinson, Dante Rosario, Tim Shaw, and C.J. Wilson). Unfortunately I just don't have the time to sit and induldge myself. :) I thought it strange that there is only one DB, and no Safties. But then, the Panthers have always seemed not too deep in the secondary. Almost as if they were one or two injuries from being in serious trouble. But that is my perception. Games I am looking forward to this season are: each division game, the Dallas game on 12/22, and especially the game versus the Jags on 12/09. The Saints have a strong simpathy following. I was almost rooting for them just after Katrina two years ago - and with the Panthers struggling to stay at .500 I was pulling for them in the playoffs. But no longer. It is back to division rivalry status for them! :) The Falcons... I just cannot get behind Micheal Vick. He is just the ESPN darling too much IMO. The man is a great athlete, there is no doubt, but football is a team sport and not jsut one man. Besides... he's burned the Panthers on too many occasions. :) The Bucs... most people say that when one team is beating the other consistantly it is not really a rivalry... I think this is still a heated rivalry. The Panthers and the Bucs seemed to take a step up and play with more intensity when they play against one another. Besides, I think Chris Simms is going to want to make a statement or two. The Dallas game I am really looking forward to because it will be the one game I know I will be able to watch. It will be broadcast on NFL network. Besides, I want Carolina's record versus Dallas to improve. It seems that the Panther's can beat them in the post season, but not the regular season. (Hey R. - maybe we can get together and watch the game?) Ok, now the Jags... Although the Panthers beat them in their inagural 'Hall of Fame' game back in 1995 it has been less glorious in the regular season. The Panthers are just 1 and 2 against this team. I want my beloved Black Cats to take out the Jags. I know the two species of cats are similar... but I am pulling for the melanistic version of these big game cats! Ok, well - enough rambling about subjects that only I care about. May God richly bless each of you. Verse for today: Psalm 1:1-3, ESV Blessed is the man [1] who walks not in the counsel of the wicked, nor stands in the way of sinners, nor sits in the seat of scoffers; but his delight is in the law [2] of the Lord, and on his law he meditates day and night. He is like a treeplanted by streams of water that yields its fruit in its season, and its leaf does not wither. In all that he does, he prospers.

1 comment:

Susan said...

Nope, I care! We actually listened to a good deal of the draft on radio as we returned home this weekend. I don't know what the Bucs are doing...but they should have a strong defense this year. Just not sure what's going to happen with our offense.

Have a good one!!