20080814

Thoughtless Thursday

I am at a loss for what to blog about. This past week has been a blur, and the past twenty-four hours even more so. The holes for the footers of the deck (which was my beloved's surprise birthday present) were approved this past week. Now I just need to get off my duff and to the local Home Depot to purchase the cement for the footers, as well as prepare to order all of the lumber. I am pretty nervous about getting the footers and the frame in. I am confident that once those are in I can pretty much handle the rest. I will measure success at that point by the number of boards I miss-cut (the more I do so, the less successful I will have been ;) ). I was finally able to get out and see Batman: The Dark Knight last night. I am not going to go on and on about how great this movie was. The truth is that it really was a good movie, but I wanted to comment on the various characters. Specifically Batman and the Joker. These two guys are an interesting study. Batman has "only one rule", and while it is never spoken out loud it would seem that it is that he will not kill any one - and this is the one thing that the Joker works hard to get him to compromise. As matter of fact, that seems to be the Joker's only motivation. Totally and complete anarchy. Many may see Batman as the 'ultimate good' guy, and the Joker as the 'Ultimate Bad' guy. I can see that about the Joker, but not so much Batman. I think I will have to think about this some more... maybe watch it a few more times when it comes out on DVD... but that will not be high on my priorities. Do you ever feel like there is nothing that you can do that can go right? Like what ever you touch turns to slag, not even lead. Lead can be recycled, lead can be reused. But slag is just burnt up and twisted. It's too contaminated to even be melted down to it's base elements because what it would use up is more than could be pulled back out again. That is where I find myself this morning (afternoon now). I clean out the car - I throw away some coupons and sales flyer's that my beloved was going to use. I complete my first full week of working out at the gym to begin a lifestyle change - and it is wearing me down to the point I am pretty much out of it come bed time for the kids. I start a house project (said deck mentioned above) - and I am filling up the schedule with things to do, the very thing I complain about (being too busy). I finally retire from the National Guard - and I have cut our income down too much. There are quite a few more but really, why go on... I think I've illustrated my point some. I am just thankful that I do not always get what I deserve. I love the saying, "I am doing better than I deserve" because that is the truth. Not just physically, but more importantly - spiritually. Verse for today: Psalm 103 : 15-19, ESV As for man, his days are like grass; he flourishes like a flower of the field; for the wind passes over it, and it is gone, and its place knows it no more. But the steadfast love of the Lord is from everlasting to everlasting on those who fear him, and his righteousness to children's children, to those who keep his covenant and remember to do his commandments. The Lord has established his throne in the heavens, and his kingdom rules over all.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, yes, I have those days. Those are the days that you have to steel yourself not to think too much or look too closely, but trust that "love covers a multitude of sins." A multitude of "not good enoughs," a multitude of times of "missing the mark."

Here's a good word from Hebrews: "You have need of great endurance." Hang in.

samurai said...

Thank you Jennifer. Well said and shared.

GUNNY said...

I was providentially hindered from seeing the movie last night and am debating whether or not I should finish reading your post until after I do.

We'll see if curiosity gets the better of this cat.

;-)