20080807

You have got to love eBay

eBay has to be the epitome of capitalism. You can find almost anything there, from things as obscure as a rare movie to some kind of rare collectible. It is also really useful for finding those everyday kinds of things. Last night DS2 cames to me and tells me that he lost a game for their Gameboys (the boys share their games) and wanted me to pick one up for him. With our upcoming calender pretty packed I jumped on eBay, compared prices, placed my bid and walla, it will be arriving in probably about a week. I even compared prices for retial (saved about $10!). I didn't even have to leave the comfort of my own home. What makes eBay so capitalistic is that the seller can charge whatever price they feel the market will bare, for a fee of both the starting bid and the final bid. Oh, and don't forget if you use their banking system (better known as PayPal) - there's one more fee. Then, as long as there is a buyer out there willing to place a bid on your item, you can sell it for whatever they are willing to pay for it! I have been a member of eBay since 1998 (I can't believe it's been that long either) and thus far still have a rating below 200. I just don't use it all that often - but it's nice to browse every once in a while. I have even used it to make the occasional sale myself. Once, I was getting interested in a game called Net Runner. I wanted to just pick up a few decks to play with my son, but I kept being out bid on all the auctions. (It's best to stick to your guns instead of going crazy and say "I-just-HAVE-to-HAVE-it!".) Well, out of the blue I get an e-mail (or message through eBay) from a guy who recently bought a kite shop. He wanted to know if I would be interested in buying out his entire stock - something like ten complete cases, plus a few odds and ends. The downside... he wanted $230 for the lot. SOLD! Although my beloved was not very happy (you spent $200 on what!), I sold only seven of the cases and broke even - on eBay of course. Both the seller and the buyer have to be careful though. As a buyer, check out the rating/reputation of the seller. Make sure this is not some one who has been getting bad ratings. If you are a seller, make sure that you require payment up front. For me that extra fee that gets chopped off the top of my sale is worth it. As a matter of fact PayPal is great from both ends of the sale. The biggest thing for me... be patient. Know how much I am willing to spend up front. Compare sellers, the lowest "Pay Now" price may not be the one to go with. Be willing to walk away. You will pay way too much if you get overly excited about something. As a seller I am completely honest about the condition of the item I am selling. Maybe to the point of being overly critical. I always insist on the buyer using PayPal, or a certified Money Order - and either way, the item does not ship until payment as cleared. For me PayPal has been great. I even use it as a sort of savings account because it gives better interest than my local bank. If you are not into yard sales, and you have a reasonable idea of what it will cost to ship various items, eBay is the way to go! P.S. before I go I have to share my latest piece of flair over on Facebook. I felt that it really spoke to me: Verse for today: Psalm 31 : 1-5, ESV In you, O Lord, do I take refuge; let me never be put to shame; in your righteousness deliver me! Incline your ear to me; rescue me speedily! Be a rock of refuge for me, a strong fortress to save me!

For you are my rock and my fortress; and for your name's sake you lead me and guide me; you take me out of the net they have hidden for me, for you are my refuge. Into your hand I commit my spirit; you have redeemed me, O Lord, faithful God.

1 comment:

Amy L Buitendyk said...

Love the flare! It is great!!!!

Ebay can be fun - if you know what you want and what is a fair rate and you pay attention to the seller and buyer. I have been burned before but I still go there!