20080829

Football and/or Fallout Fridays

Hello fellow sports fans and welcome to the regular season of the NFL! Last night the Carolina Panthers played their last game of the preseason. As was the case of the previous three games it was meaningless in regards to the championship (otherwise known as the Super Bowl), but it was the last chance twenty two guys were going to get to try and earn a job. Think about it. As of September 1st over seven hundred guys are going to be out of a job! And that is not counting all the guys that went to training camps between May and July 1st, or the guys that were cut earlier this week. Even though the last four games for the Panthers are now erased from the record books (other than some small footnote) i enjoy the spectacle nonetheless. i am pulling for Rhys Lloyd the place kicker from Great Brittan - so long as he does not oust John Kasay. I like what i was seeing on the Defensive Line, the offensive line, the Running Back situation, the Tight End situation, and the Defensive back situation. (Wow, you would think i am ready to ride the bus all the way to Tampa Bay!) But one thing is for sure. Right now there are fans of 31 other NFL teams all excited about the possibilities of the 2008 season. One thing is for sure though... the 2008 NFL season has begun! WOO HOO! Only nine more days until the season opens in San Diego. All i need now is to get the draft done for my fantasy football team (the Redleg Boomers) and I will ready for gameday! Not much new on the Fallout 3 front. Well, at least i am not sure what to say about it (yet). There are new reviews out almost every day, and the spin machine from Bethesda Software is really doing their job well, but i tend to like to look beyond the hype and just see what i can see without someone telling what i am supposed to be seeing. The Fallout 3 blog has been doing an excellent job of posting both pro and con reviews, etc. I know most of the reviewers are talking about how great it is to be able to play the game in a "morally neutral" way, and to be honest it bothers me that people want to know if they can "shot the kid NPC's", but I think those kind of questions speak more to the gaming society at large (which is to say a large portion of our youth and young adults) than the game itself. To Bethesda Software's credit I have heard two things that I applaud. The first one was there refusal to include the option of being able to shoot kids in the game. Why is this even a topic under consideration and/or debate? They (Bethesda Software) has been essentially unwilling to compromise, or discuss such a compromise, such a thing. Bravo! The second was an instance where someone interviewing the company about the game and asked if it was possible to get into an x-rated situation (I am paraphrasing) and the company representative said "not interested", and "no it is not a possibility". I think it's great that they went to such great lengths to make things feasible (to include moral choices being possible that I may or may not agree with), but were unwilling to include such things (and probably more that I am not aware of). They were willing to draw a line somewhere. For color here is the video for the beginning of the game... I am going to be enjoying a rare three day weekend, so until next time - I hope you all have a great grace and peace filled weekend. Verse for today: Psalm 141 : 3-5a, ESV Set a guard, O Lord, over my mouth; keep watch over the door of my lips! Do not let my heart incline to any evil, to busy myself with wicked deeds in company with men who work iniquity, and let me not eat of their delicacies! Let a righteous man strike me—it is a kindness; let him rebuke me—it is oil for my head; let my head not refuse it.

No comments: