20080815

Football and/or Fallout Fridays

There are only 23 days, 4 hours, and about 20 minutes until opening kickoff for the Carolina Panthers, and about 52 days until the supposed release date of Fallout 3. The former is set in stone by the league, the latter is set by a company who has not made an official announcement and is probably still working to refine their product. :) Neither of which are terribly important in the eternal sense. But both are good for "filler" in the blogging sense. :) Last night Carolina looked a little shaky in my opinion. The first team offense was not very successful in moving the ball in their first two possessions, and the first team defense was still using the "bend but don't break" philosophy. With the weather delay due to lightning I didn't really get to see all that much, so my opinions are not based off of complete observations. Two take aways from what I am reading in the morning news though, Jake's elbow looks to be doing well, and the defense scored a touchdown off of an interception. Oh, and one more good point - John Kasay booted a 49 yarder. My all-time favorite, and last original, Panther is still looking good. Fallout 3 is still just a game, but I like to play games so I am still looking forward to its release. There are four things on my birthday/anniversary/Christmas wish list. 1) The brand new ESV Study Bible, 2) Fallout 3 for the PC, 3) The Unit, season 3 on DVD, and 4) an electric razor to use at the gym (my old one is over ten years old and leaves a lot of stubble behind). Fallout 3 is based in and around Washington DC and the suburbs so I was wondering if I'd be able to wander around my old 'haunts' or not. I was especially wondering if I could head over to Arlington National Cemetery or not. I figure at some point that I will stand at the Lincoln Memorial and try and look across the Potomac River to see if I can still see the Lee House. If you have ever been at either memorial and looked back across the "Memorial Bridge" it is really well done IMO. I like how the bridge represents the reunification of the North and South after the American Civil War. On the Northern side stands the Lincoln Memorial, then across to the South stands "Lee House", or the Robert E. Lee Memorial. I have read that the tunnels of the old subway system are ways to move around, so maybe I can actually get over there. Hmm... Ok, so this is supposed to be the Jefferson Memorial... but I liked the artwork. LOL I think, for me, the biggest thing I am looking forward to (and will probably be a disappointment somewhat) will be the ability to walk around the region of where I grew up, and have lived almost my entire life and see what they have done to it in the game. What the "artist's concept" is. Will I be able to travel out to Sugar Loaf 'Mountain'? What about National Airport? I've heard about the Capital Building and Washington Monuments. What about my old neighborhoods in Arlington, or Rockville? I know it will not be fully interactive, and I will not be able to go "everywhere" - there are just so much you can put into a game. But it still should be fun. Wow, I really can ramble on about very trivial things. :) May God richly bless each of you, and may you have a great weekend. Verse for today: Proverbs 15 : 3-9, ESV The eyes of the Lord are in every place, keeping watch on the evil and the good. A gentle [1] tongue is a tree of life, but perverseness in it breaks the spirit. A fool despises his father's instruction, but whoever heeds reproof is prudent. In the house of the righteous there is much treasure, but trouble befalls the income of the wicked. The lips of the wise spread knowledge; not so the hearts of fools. [2] The sacrifice of the wicked is an abomination to the Lord, but the prayer of the upright is acceptable to him. The way of the wicked is an abomination to the Lord, but he loves him who pursues righteousness.

No comments: