20080522

What am I scared of?

Or is it that I just don't like doing things without knowing how first? I still haven't tried out the new program I downloaded last week. Just type... that's what I do all day for work anyway. Point-click, type, enter... I mean, I'm not even on the hook for anything. I just want to do it for fun! Theodore Roosevelt said it best:

"It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points how the strong man stumbled or where the doer of deeds might have done better.

The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, and spends himself in a worthy cause; who, if he wins, knows the triumph of high achievement; and who, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold timid souls who know neither victory or defeat."


Too often I am more among those on the sidelines, even in areas that I want to be a part of. I do not owe anyone this story that I want to write. There is no deadline. I am only writing really for myself. Sure I post them in a blog for all to see, but there are no expectations there either. And it's not just in my writing.

I get "camera shy" in other things I do. I've always wanted to do small time acting... but I get up there and I start to stutter, etc. Once, for church, I was in a small play and I had the only part where I could sit down and read my lines. Do you know I was the only one in our 3 day run that flubbed their lines! LOL

I like to write, I like to imagine, I like to pretend and play - it's just that I don't like to do those things publicly.
Verse for today:
Psalm 107 : 4-9, ESV
Some wandered in desert wastes,
finding no way to a city to dwell in;
hungry and thirsty,
their soul fainted within them.
Then they cried to the Lord in their trouble,
and he delivered them from their distress.
He led them by a straight way
till they reached a city to dwell in.
Let them thank the Lord for his steadfast love,
for his wondrous works to the children of man!
For he satisfies the longing soul,
and the hungry soul he fills with good things.

2 comments:

Red Letter Believers said...

Powerful stuff. It is so easy to stand on the sidelines and criticise! That's the simplest job in the world. May we actually roll up our sleeves and work to make this a better world for the sake of the King.

David Rupert
www.redletterbelievers.blogspot.com

Susan said...

Keep pushing the envelope and you'll get over some of those things. It's hard to believe in ourselves...and to take risks sometimes. Writing is VERY vulnerable. It's hard to put yourself out there...but you have to know that someone wants to be YOUR audience.

Susan