20080530

Back in the saddle

I am throwing up a quick post, but I will be adding some more later today. I have been under the weather pretty much since Monday. Dropped 9lbs though! You don't need the details. ;-)

What a crazy week. Last Saturday I was honored to be chosen to render the first salute to a graduating ROTC. We have known each other for about 3 years now. He's a smart, hard working kid. I gave him one of my ACU day planners that I had received from our unit (they replaced the old 'Leader's books'), and one of the St. Barbara coins I had bought for the guys over in Iraq. He in turn gave me the traditional Silver Dollar (a nice bicentennial piece) and a WW-I era Artillery Branch pin. Very nice. Yet another example of me working with a kid just starting off in his military career as mine is in twilight. On the way home I stopped by the place I bought my sons beds at and bought a pair of desks and some storage shelving/boxes for me. Oddest thing though, their warehouse was closed! On Memorial Day weekend!?! That has to be a crazy thing, and a not so good business decision.

Sunday we went to a friends house for a BBQ. A great time was had by all. I also had a chance to meet an old friend from high school and his 12 year old daughter. Through him I found out that another old friend may be reachable. This long lost fellow was the one I joined the Guard with back in '86. I need to pick up the phone and call him.

On Monday I went back out for my unit's annual Memorial Day parade. The town supposedly has the longest continually running Memorial Day parade in America. At the end we always perform a salute at the town cemetery. After it's all over the local American Legion Hall puts together a good spread for us. That morning is when I started to fell a little 'under the weather' and by the time I got back home I had to lay down for little bit.

The rest of the week has been a fight. I will not try and gross anyone out, but I am still dragging today. I had some other thoughts, but they have gotten lost in the process of getting through the day. :-) I hope you all have a blessed day, and weekend.
Verse for today:
James 5 : 13-18, ESV
Is anyone among you suffering? Let him pray. Is anyone cheerful? Let him sing praise. Is anyone among you sick? Let him call for the elders of the church, and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord. And the prayer of faith will save the one who is sick, and the Lord will raise him up. And if he has committed sins, he will be forgiven. Therefore, confess your sins to one another and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person has great power as it is working. [2] Elijah was a man with a nature like ours, and he prayed fervently that it might not rain, and for three years and six months it did not rain on the earth. Then he prayed again, and heaven gave rain, and the earth bore its fruit.

No comments: