20070312

Daylight Savings Time and random thoughts

I always have a rough week after the start of Daylight Savings time. My body just does not want to wake up that one hour earlier. Yesterday I woke up at 6:40 and looked at the clock and rolled over. After all I didn't have to be up until 7:30... then it hit me. You guessed it... I failed to set the clocks the night before. Thank you God for waking me up. My beloved had children's ministry (as usual) and we had to be there. By God's grace we made it out the door on time. :) This morning was hard as well. Last week I was pretty good about getting up and getting a walk in and a little quiet time. This morning all I could think of is 'ugh'. :) I did get a little prayer time in, but no walk or reading. But it will get better. Ok, some fun things I learned this weekend. 1) Benjamin Franklin suggested daylight savings time, but it seemed to be in jest to Parisians (not sure if I spelled that right). It was along the lines of "early to bed, early to rise...". DST as we know it first began in the early 1900's. Ironically enough the big proponents of DST were golfers. It seems they wanted to be able to complete their rounds. :) The U.S. was not the first country to officially support DST. If my memory serves it was Germany, followed by Great Britan, then the U.S. Yesterday we had a good sermon on the book if Nehemiah. Our Pastor talked about each member had a spot on the wall. No evidence of complaining. no evidence of people saying "hey look at my work", but each person doing their part. Well, I have to run for today... God bless. Verse for today: Nehemiah 3:3, ESV And they said to me, “The remnant there in the province who had survived the exile is in great trouble and shame. The wall of Jerusalem is broken down, and its gates are destroyed by fire.”

3 comments:

Susan said...

Ohhh...the dark mornings are BRUTAL! But I DO love the longer light.

I pray you settle in to DST very soon.

:-) Susan

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

Don't know if you read my post about Hoosier deploring DST, but we are having a hard time because we only started doing DST this year. There are bunch of mean Hoosiers running around. Don't cross our farmers!

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

oh also, you made me want to re-read Nehemiah.