20070328

Open loathing

For sometime I have frequented a message board that focuses on a hobby of mine. There are of course several forums that discuss various aspects of the game (rules, fan fiction, alternate rules, etc.), but there is one that discusses "off topic" subjects. There is a wide variety of topics that are discussed there. Quite frequently Christianity is brought up - usually in the negative bent. There are a few other Christians there. For myself, I've given up trying to discuss rationally about my faith there. Why? Because I am seen as irrational - as is anyone who believes in Christ in their point of view. To be fair they do not just bash Christianity but all forms of organized religion. My mind is racing with all kind of threads I can pursue with this blog entry, but I am not sure any of them are really helpful. There is a part of me that is heart broken. There is a part of me that is angry. All I can do is pray for them - even though they say that is offensive to them. *sigh* I am just grateful that in the end I am confident in my faith - a faith that was not just dreamed up, but reasoned through. I know I am not perfect, nor is my intellect. But I am content that I have not just accepted things at face value but I have read and thought through several points of view - to include theirs - and I am confident in my decision. In the end there is some sadness in knowing that not everyone will accept Christ. And why shouldn't there be? In Christ is perfect peace and joy. Without Christ there is gnashing of teeth. To be honest, there is a fear of what these people would do if they should ever become some form of policy maker. I fear for another Rome type of persecution. I doubt I would see it in my lifetime, but I fear for my children and their children. Even though I see it in Revelations, there is a part of me that does not want to see it. Things like this really do deepen the yearning for being absent with the body and present with the Lord. I am selfish in desiring a quiet passing when my time comes though. Verse for today: Romans 14:10-12, ESV Why do you pass judgment on your brother? Or you, why do you despise your brother? For we will all stand before the judgment seat of God; for it is written, “As I live, says the Lord, every knee shall bow to me,and every tongue shall confess [2] to God.” So then each of us will give an account of himself to God.

3 comments:

Susan said...

I am wondering if, because our society is becoming more and more like this forum you describe....it will mean that people will be more radically saved and persue a deeper faith. It seems to me that there really isn't room in our society for mediocrity when it comes to religion anymore.

Blessings.

Susan

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

Susan has a good point. Someday it may be like the way incarcerated people describe prison--you'll have to make your stand clear and then back it up. There will be no gray area, and many times, if you come down on the side of Christianity in particular, there will be a price to pay. I think it's great that you are influencing there. You may be only planting the proverbial seeds, that is hugely important. I believe you represent Christ well. Thanks for the good thoughts on the Indy mini. And i don't know what a ruck is!

samurai said...

Well, only God knows if I am making any difference there or not... but may the Holy Spirit break through there somehow...

\o/