20070322

I am having a layer 8 issue today

Man I am just not functioning on all cylinders today. Last night I was unloading the dishwasher and the bottom was just full of water. So much that it filled my little 6 gal shop vac before it was completely empty. I checked the drainage line - it was empty, almost completely dry all the way up to the back of the dishwasher. I checked the trap inside and although I found something (I think it was a napkin) but when I cleaned it all out it still would not drain. In the end I just called in for a service call. They (Sears) will be out next Tuesday morning. I am not really sure why but I was also up until past 3AM this morning. I don't really know why either. I was so tired I was shaking at one point. When I came into work I was copying a simple config to NVRAM in preperation of some upcoming work. I got the following question: "Erase flash: before copying? [confirm] Without a second thought I hit the key... *sigh*... it has taken me the past two hours to reload the operating system files on a device that has reloaded 3 times in the past five days - the reason I need to have the config saved. \o/ Praise God the device did not decide it was time to reload again before the images were reloaded. I should just go home now and get back under the covers. :) Oh, before I forget. Larry King had several people on last night, including Bill Cosby, discussing Autism in America - and really the world. An organization call "Autism Speaks" is attempting to be a central point to drive lobbying for funding and to bring it home to the public. One thing that struck me was that Polio affected 1:3,000 and it was treated like a National Epidemic (and rightly so). But Autism will affect 1:150 (1:94 boys!) and there is no mainstream drive to fund research. That ratio (ackording to what I heard last night) is greater than cancer, HIV, and one other thing that is escaping my sleep deprived mind right now - combined. One thing that was said I did wince at... one grieving father said, "when a child dies from cancer it is over, but a child stricken with Autism lives on - and the families have to continue to deal with it." I feel that was unfair to those who have lost a child - to any illness or accident. I have a son with Aspergers and I see this father's side of what he was trying to say, but the grief the other familes deals with is somewhat more intense for that time - and many never fully recover. In the end they are our children. We as parents will do almost anything for them. Verse for today: Luke 18:15-17, ESV Now they were bringing even infants to him that he might touch them. And when the disciples saw it, they rebuked them. But Jesus called them to him, saying, “Let the children come to me, and do not hinder them, for to such belongs the kingdom of God. Truly, I say to you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God like a child shall not enter it.”

2 comments:

Susan said...

The difference between that Dad and you is that you see your child with Asperger's and you look for the blessing of being a Dad. He is looking at his child and not seeing the blessing.

You're right. We DO need to do something toward some serious research. It's a sad sad diagnosis...and one that I think is so misunderstood.

Blessings....and GET SOME SLEEP!!!!

:-) Susan

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

Your comments are compassionate and wise. You seem like a really humble guy, too. I agree with your observations.