20070308

Negotiations

Ever notice how we (as humans) like to try and negotiate our way through things. Maybe it's just the culture I live in. My kids will often ask "Can I see/do/have/go such-and-such?" And if they do not get the answer they hope for often their response is "please!" or try and justify or barter for what they want. Last night I went to see "Ghost Rider" with a friend that I've had since High School. It was an enjoyable movie because I knew it was a comic book adaption and I was not looking for "Gone With the Wind", but it kind of struck me. We try and negotiate with God. Lord I will follow You anywhere - but please let me _________", etc. We try and negotiate our salvation. Even those who know Him will do this from time to time. Then there are others who seem to boast that they've sold their souls. This disturbs me, but I know not as much as it should. God does not negotiate (neither does the enemy of our souls). God reveals Himself to his creation (Romans 1) and in the end there will be no one who can say "I did not know". Personally I don't know how God does this to all men... but that is what I read in His Word. My recommendation - don't negotiate. We should merely say "Yes Lord" and then seek His help in obtaining the strength and courage. Verse for the day: Matthew 14:28-33, ESV And Peter answered him, “Lord, if it is you, command me to come to you on the water.” He said, “Come.” So Peter got out of the boat and walked on the water and came to Jesus. But when he saw the wind, [4] he was afraid, and beginning to sink he cried out, “Lord, save me.” Jesus immediately reached out his hand and took hold of him, saying to him, “O you of little faith, why did you doubt?” And when they got into the boat, the wind ceased. And those in the boat worshiped him, saying, “Truly you are the Son of God.”

No comments: