20070306

Missing the boat

There is a reason that I do not work on Wall Street. My timing is all screwy. By God's grace my beloved and I do not live pay check to paycheck (unless we've been eating out a lot ;) ) and when my mom passed away we received a relatively small life insurance. We wisely put it away instead of buying a new car, etc. Well, I've managed to get it invested with a good company (if anyone is interested I will gladly sing the praises of "my guy" and would love to direct you to him as well) and I talk to my account manager from time to time. Now I am a pretty small fish in his pool of accounts but I keep an eye on it. Anyway there are times when I get an inkling about some stock or another. My problem is my timing is all off. I used to own 20 shares of Apple when it was less than $20 a share (and it was not really all that long ago!) but I got impatient... and now it's over $80! Alos, recently I bought a few shares of another company - mostly because I liked it. If I had sold them (less than two weeks later) like I felt inclined to do I could have locked in a 15% gain, but did I ... no! Not me. I really cannot complain because over time I am still in the black. I'm just glad that I do not do that sort of thing for a living! Besides, it complicates my taxes! :) For me the whole investing thing is not about getting the larger house, or the sports car, but being a good steward of what God has generously entrusted to me. Tithing the gains by supporting my local church. Someday I may get into a glorious way in which God multiplied an investment and what He did with it. When my time on earth is done I want to be able to know that the storehouses (if there is anything left) was distributed as God has shown me. (Sharing cloaks, etc.) Verse for the day: Matthew 25:14-19, ESV “For it will be like a man going on a journey, who called his servants [3] and entrusted to them his property. To one he gave five talents, [4] to another two, to another one, to each according to his ability. Then he went away. He who had received the five talents went at once and traded with them, and he made five talents more. So also he who had the two talents made two talents more. But he who had received the one talent went and dug in the ground and hid his master's money. Now after a long time the master of those servants came and settled accounts with them.

2 comments:

Susan said...

I'm always quite amazed at how God blesses our tithes and offerings!! Being a good steward is so important and really yields so many blessings, doesn't it??

Have a GREAT day!!

:-) Susan

samurai said...

It is... read todays entry! :)