20070321

Is it just about the money?

Sometimes I wonder if things like a "check engine" light is really a way to get car owners to come into the dealerships more often. Yesterday after about 3 hours, and $42, I was told that it was only a random cylinder miss-fire. They suggested I add a 'fuel stabalizer' - for a mere $21 more. I coughed a little and asked if they would recommend any kind of after market brands. They "could not recommend" any thing. I sighed as I have a friend since High School who has told me about some of the 'scams' he experienced working for a dealership. I know not all dealerships are like that, but it makes me nervous. Especially since I've had this car in there a couple of times before. In the end (after talking with a car buff here at work) I picked up two bottles of Valvoline Complete Fuel system cleaner. We shall see. :) Isn't it sad that in general we really need to be so wary of things that could take advantage of our good nature? And yet, there is no way we can be even moderately familiar with everything out there. There are general things we can look for... but at the end of the day we still need to make a decision. I want to trust everyone, but I need to not trust anyyone (until I get to know them). A consistant prayer I am having is that God would give me grace to cover my lack (which is a pretty big gap!). There are times like now that my soul groans for Heaven. Verse for today: 2 Corinthians 5:1-9, ESV For we know that if the tent that is our earthly home is destroyed, we have a building from God, a house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens. For in this tent we groan, longing to put on our heavenly dwelling, if indeed by putting it on [1] we may not be found naked. For while we are still in this tent, we groan, being burdened—not that we would be unclothed, but that we would be further clothed, so that what is mortal may be swallowed up by life. He who has prepared us for this very thing is God, who has given us the Spirit as a guarantee. So we are always of good courage. We know that while we are at home in the body we are away from the Lord, for we walk by faith, not by sight. Yes, we are of good courage, and we would rather be away from the body and at home with the Lord. So whether we are at home or away, we make it our aim to please him.

1 comment:

Susan said...

Yep, this is so true. I took my car in to a quick oil type place because my maintenance light came on...they changed the oil and said, "Pump the accelerator with it off three times, then start it, the light will turn off." I was dumbfounded!!

Wishing you the best.

:-) Susan