20061127

Mournful Monday

I say that tongue in cheek - but I am disappointed in the Panthers this morning. I can honestly say that while I watched the game yesterday there was never a point that I felt the Panthers won the game (or should win). The Redskins did a masterful job IMO of handling the Panthers. I am not very good at listing off stats - but they are available on the web. The Redskins earned that win - they deserved that win. It just seems like anytime the national (sports) media attention is on Charlotte - the team seems to sag and lose their drive. Like they've arrived or something. Now, I am not saying every player on the team does that but, this is a team sport and no one player makes or breaks the entire game. This morning I am dealing with the issue of being disappointed in other areas of my life. But when it comes right down to it I am being selfish and pouting that I am not getting what I want. It shouldn't be amazed by the depth of my own depravity, but I am. Time and time again. I encourage everyone to honestly evaluate themselves and when they see the incredible depth of their sin to drop to their knees wherever they are and give praise and glory to God for what He has done. We (humans) are so incredibly prideful and arrogant. It makes me appreciate the changes I am seeing in Steve Smith (#89 for the Panthers) and the charecter of Julius Peppers (#90) all the more. I once had a picture in my mind of this... Picture all of mankind trying to climb Mt. Everest to reach God. Trying to achieve that standard. Some like King David or Paul have reached the pinnacle. Others like Mother Terresa (? sp) and Billy Graham are well near the top. Others are on the lower slopes, or even in the foothills. From our persepctive those on or near the top (especially those of us on the lower slopes) are either at the goal, or very very near. Now let's turn the perspective to where God is seing things. The goal is not the pinnacle of Mt. Everest but the Sea of Tranquility on the surface of the moon. Disgarding the fact of man's ability to build a space ship (that after all takes team work and is not achievable by a single person) it is impossible to reach that goal. In terms of sheer distance the scale puts each person's effort on a near linear level. It took God coming to us in that state to bridge the gap. And this picture does not do adequate justice. Updates: Yarns Verse for today: Jeremiah 19 : 10-14, ESV For thus says the Lord: When seventy years are completed for Babylon, I will visit you, and I will fulfill to you my promise and bring you back to this place. For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for wholeness and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will hear you. You will seek me and find me. When you seek me with all your heart, I will be found by you, declares the Lord, and I will restore your fortunes and gather you from all the nations and all the places where I have driven you, declares the Lord, and I will bring you back to the place from which I sent you into exile.

No comments: