20061121

I am thinking of having two favorite football teams

Well... the Jags are also a form of Panther after all. I mean the all black panther is the better of the two - but I can still root for a cousin right? A blog aquaintance indicated that she likes to cheet on Christian coaches such as Tony Dungy. I like that idea as well. Coach (Joe) Gibbs in Washington and Coach (Tony) Dungy are examples of men that I root for. It even lessens the sting when my favorite team loses to such teams. Coach Gibbs was an influence in my young life growing up in the Washington DC area. I find myself drawn to Christian players on the Panthers as well. Frank Reich (Carolina's first QB - who is currently the senior Pastor of Corner Stone Presbyterian) and John Kasay were among the first players I found myself pulling for on the Panthers. Lately it is still John Kasey (yeah!) and I am thinking Steve Smith is a brother in Christ. Last night I was able to listen to John Kasay's interview on WBT (AM 1110) out of Charlotte. Gotta love that AM skip! Random thought... what is up with Studio 60 on Sunset Strip? I admit I am drawn to the fast paced tempo of the dialog and interaction. But I am not real keen on the slight I feel as a Christian in regards to a lot of the issues I believe in. I had the same issues with West Wing. Mr. Sorkin seems to believe (descerned through his writting since I've never met the man) that us Christians are well meaning, but out faith gets in the way of any real individual thinking. I'm just glad that Ms. Hayes (the charecter's name) was talked out of doing some sort of lingerie photo shoot. Ok, I've rambled on long enough... I through Q of my 'Alphabet of Gratitude': I – I am grateful for the internet. It can be such a trap I know, but through the WWW I have been able to do so many things. You can research all kinds of things. Communicate with people all around the country, and even the world. There are a lot of bad things (IMO) on the internet, but it has been a blessing to me in helping me research and double check a lot of things. J – My Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. In the order of things I am most grateful for Jesus. I know that to the world I may never be able to fully explain how or why I believe in what He has done and what He means to me, but I do know this – Jesus is the entirety of why I am who I am. This entire list (and so much more) has been gifts from Him. For as the Bible says, “All things were made through him, and without him was not any thing made that was made.” (John 1:3, esv) K – Kissing. I have scratched my head more than once on how God’s wisdom works through the joining of a man and a woman. But it is a marvelous thing and very often it is apparent that without a woman in my life I would not be all that I am today. Along with all the other things that a marriage is, I really like kissing my wife. L – The Lord of the Rings trilogy. Not just the movies, but the books as well. I remember reading the series as a kid and not really appreciating it fully. Some people think the movies ruined the books, or that they just didn’t get it. But I feel the movies are a wonderful addition. It would be impossible to fully convey all that Mr. Tolkien put into those books into a movie form. Let alone be able to make money at it. My beloved and I love to watch those movies together. M – I am grateful for worship music. I love to sing praise and worship songs to the King. I used to arrive early at church to help set things up, and when I was done I would be able to listen to the worship team practice and warm up. I know that our walk with the Lord is often not emotionally driven, but when you feel the Holy Spirit moving in and through the words of a song design to praise Him… words cannot adequately express… N – The National Guard. God has really used the NG to help me find some discipline in my life. I have also been able to do some traveling and to do things that otherwise I might never have gotten to experience. O – The oceans. My beloved and I enjoy times at the beach – usually in the off season. But the sound of the waves breaking on the beach, the fresh air. P – I love to play. Play games, play with my wife, play with my kids, play with friends. Life is far too serious and taking a break from the rat race to just have fun is very important. I am grateful to be able to play. Q – The quilt we have on our bed. Now, I am normally a very warm person at night. It is pretty rare when I am cold at night. But there is something to be said about a nice, thick, warm quilt to crawl under at night. S through Z tomorrow. :) Updates: I have added a new link to another Blog aquaintence - Bob. He is a pretty cool fellow. Flies planes, works around his house, loves to play with his Grandson. Verse for today: Psalm 102 : 12-17, ESV But you, O Lord, are enthroned forever; you are remembered throughout all generations. You will arise and have pity on Zion; it is the time to favor her; the appointed time has come. For your servants hold her stones dear and have pity on her dust. Nations will fear the name of the Lord, and all the kings of the earth will fear your glory. For the Lord builds up Zion; he appears in his glory; he regards the prayer of the destitute and does not despise their prayer.

1 comment:

Susan said...

I am STILL lovin' the alphabet. Don't know if I could say I was a "Jaguar"....a little too close to the home turf! ;-) Seriously, though, you're right...the influence of Christians in the public eye (like football) is a great thing. And I already told you Steve Smith is on my Fantasy Football team....didn't even realize he had that testimony...but think it's SO COOL!!!

Have a GREAT Thanksgiving.

:-) Susan