20070913

Have you ever been thirsty?

I mean really thirsty? Over the years I have been discovering that there is a thirst that truly no amount of water, or any other liquid, can satisfy. But what I have failed to do, well two things actually, is really dive in and satiate that thirst - or learn how to cultivate such a thirst (which is actually done by the former).
Psalm 63:1-4, ESV O God, you are my God; earnestly I seek you; my soul thirsts for you; my flesh faints for you, as in a dry and weary land where there is no water. So I have looked upon you in the sanctuary, beholding your power and glory. Because your steadfast love is better than life, my lips will praise you. So I will bless you as long as I live; in your name I will lift up my hands.
I actually do feel such a thirst. It is stronger on some days than others, but it is always there. And yet it is never truly satisfied. If anything the thirst grows more and more prevelant. I have been told that a man can be driven insane by such cravings. Oh to be driven to such an extreme... but without going to the extremes of the cults that pollute God's truth. A heart like Billy Graham or Charles Spurgeon. In the end I struggle with even seeking to satisfy this thirst. I allow the world to seep in and rob me of my desire. And not just the world, I war with my own sin nature. Heavenly Father thank You that I am even aware of this thirst, of this need. Thank You that You have opened my mind and my heart to the fact that there is even such a need, and then not only shown me how to meet this need - but then provided it as well. Your word, in Romans 1, is clear that all of creation is aware of this need in one way or another. I do not even begin to know how to fathom the how, or why, you have revealed Your Son to me - but I fall on my knees in praise and thanksgiving, in fear and in trembling, at the works of Your hand. Lord God I ask for Your forgivness for the times I fear man more than I fear You. Lord I ask for a renewed passion, a new thirsting, to seek and to serve You. Lord God I pray for a renewing, yet again, of my mind and my heart. That I would firm up and press on. Lord, may all that I desire be to hear you say on that day, 'Well done' - for there will be no higher praise. I ask this in the name of my Lord Jesus Christ, and may it all be done in accordance with Your perfect will, and all of it for Your glory. Amen. Verse for today: Revelation 1:17-18, ESV When I saw him, I fell at his feet as though dead. But he laid his right hand on me, saying, “Fear not, I am the first and the last, and the living one. I died, and behold I am alive forevermore, and I have the keys of Death and Hades.

1 comment:

Amy L Buitendyk said...

"Your love is better than life!" Great song... Great verse... Brought me to a church once...

God is good and He will wait for you to have that thrist fully!