20070917

Discipline - or the lack there of

Being a military man of over 21 years, and a samurai 'enthusiast', you would think discipline would be a defining charecteristic of me and my life. I am here to tell you that it is not. Well, at least not to the extent I believe it should be. By God's grace I was saved into a church that preached about, and lived, and discipled the importance of the Spiritual disciplines. Reading, memorization, quiet times, fasting, praying... but to my dismay and discredit - it is an area that I have never excelled in. I have never even been mediocre. *sigh* I consistantly struggle with sins in my life. The same ones, over and over again. Now I know that, short of heaven, I will never be free of this struggle. But to fall to the same ones repeatedly is discouraging. Why is it that I cannot get myself up consistantly just fifteen minutes early to read, or pray. When I am entrusted to teach or lead some form of small group I am rarely prepared like I should be. I am just really mad at myself for not being more disciplined right now... I should not struggle with this... but I do... every day. Verse for today: Titus 1:7-9, ESV For an overseer, [4] as God's steward, must be above reproach. He must not be arrogant or quick-tempered or a drunkard or violent or greedy for gain, but hospitable, a lover of good, self-controlled, upright, holy, and disciplined. He must hold firm to the trustworthy word as taught, so that he may be able to give instruction in sound [5] doctrine and also to rebuke those who contradict it.

1 comment:

Amy L Buitendyk said...

Discipline is not an easy thing to have for yourself. Sin is much easier to come by and do. I am struggling right now with how to teach my boys responsiblity, discipline and life consequences in general and it isn't easy.

I can't say it will get easier for you because we all have our temptations and weaknesses we struggle with. You might have to just accept that this is yours and be grateful and thankful it isn't something much worse!

Blessing