20070911

Catching up after a four day weeekend

A lot of little thoughts running around my mind this morning... 1) I just found out that there will be a sequel to the movie Tron! (Read about it: here) I am one of the few that actually seem to amdmit to liking this film. Last year (I think it was) I heard about a sequal to Tron and got all excited, only to find out it was a sequal to the video game. Now, I love video games but, I'm just at a season of my life where I do not play them too much any more. But this is about a movie sequel, and I am psyched. 2) I have a great friendship with my beloved, but we just don't make 'music' like we used to. I am not giving up, but I need to set my expectations a little lower when it comes to trying to imitate scenes like the one on the cover of the movie The Notebook. After almost fifteen years of marriage I guess that kind of magic has lost its 'novelty'. 3) After serving over 21 years in the National Guard I learned that I am not eligable to use the VA healthcare system when I turn 60! This came as a total shock to me. Unfortunately I made the mistake of assuming something without knowing the facts. For years I have been told that I am a 'veteran', that all these things are waiting for me when I reach the ripe old age of 60... and there are a lot of things that will be waiting... but not the same healthcare system as other veterans. To be completely fare, I do qualify for the Tri-Care insurance - which is a big deal. I just feel jilted. Like I am some kind of second class veteran. 4) The Carolina Panthers have given me hope of another good season of football. They soundly beat the St Louis Rams 27-13. 5) My children are really thoughtful. Over the weekend my beloved had to take care of the 'rugrats' on her own. As a result they had to visit several fastfood restaurants. Well at Burger King the picked up a mini-jersey of the Carolina Panthers. Steve Smith's to be exact. They brought it home and gave it to me when I got home Sunday night. That was really cool. 6) I do not like being the bearer of bad news. This weekend, since I am filling in as my unit's First Sergeant, I had to inform a soldier that he would be processed for discharge due to him failing a random drug test. What made it so hard was that I liked this kid as a person. When he was in uniform he was an excellent soldier. There is just no accounting for what these guys do on their own time. For me though, it was a perfect example of how to care for someone... love the sinners (of which I am one), but hate the sin. One thing I tried to do was encourage this kid to pull himself up, take some steps to correct his course, and stand up. 7) September 11th... so many things rush through my mind. I remember where I was, what I was doing. I remember what I did that day... and I remember being thankful that my mother never saw it. I remember wondering how it would change my children (my beloved was seven months pregnant with our DD). We should remember - but not dwell or linger on that dreadful day. We need to learn - and move forward. There's more... but that's all I have time for now. I hope this finds you all well... God Bless. Verse for today: Psalm 51:1-6, ESV Have mercy on me, [1] O God, according to your steadfast love; according to your abundant mercy blot out my transgressions. Wash me thoroughly from my iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin! For I know my transgressions, and my sin is ever before me. Against you, you only, have I sinned and done what is evil in your sight, so that you may be justified in your words and blameless in your judgment. Behold, I was brought forth in iniquity, and in sin did my mother conceive me. Behold, you delight in truth in the inward being, and you teach me wisdom in the secret heart.

2 comments:

Susan said...

Glad your Panthers looked good...my Bucs looked awful. I love The Notebook...and I DO believe that you can recapture that earlier zeal...it's hard, though, when life is happening and young children are involved. Hang in there. Praying for you.
:-) Susan

samurai said...

Week 2 is coming up. I think the Panthers will have their hands full.

The Bucs play the Saints so one of those teams will be coming away with a win.

Thank you for the encouragement...