20070924

Too tired - is it Friday yet?

This past weekend was out church's family retreat weekend. I had to work some overtime Friday night for an emergency issue, but to make that part a little shorter - I arrived out at the retreat center about 9:00 PM, and got settled in. There was a nice get together around a bonfire until 10ish. We then got all of the kids to bed and we stayed up playing 'Golf' (a card game) until about 1:00 something or other. The next day we were up bright and early to get to breakfast and the various organized activities we had set up. I shadowed DS2 (my 'Aspie') to a basketball skills activity, and then to the pond for fishing (man he loves fishing!). We enjoyed a nice lunch and then some family game time. I helped out with the 'baloon slingshot' game (all the while keeping tabs on DS2, and two kids from our friends who were also staying in our same cabin). That was a hoot. After this I suited up and took all of kids down to the pool for a couple hours while my beloved tried to get a nap (which was impossible BTW). Spagetti dinner was enjoyed by all - my beloved had signed up to help to make and serve, while I was signed up to help with the clean up. In hindsight, I got the raw end of that stick. LOL - then it was off for another fun campfire - with some skits put on by two of our resident funny men. The night did become a little stressful - and here I will get even more brief. DS2 went off to play with a friend of his - one my beloved and I trust. About 15 to 20 minutes later I thought it best to just go check on him (by now it was close to 9:00 PM). I wonder halfway across the camp to find an several of my son's friends all playing touch football. but no DS2. I was told that he stomped off in frustration. For anyone who deals with these types of children you probably know, this means that they are getting into a 'mode' where they close down and they do not always respond to outside sources. It took almost 30 minutes to find him (he had returned to the cabin and was in his bed - thank You God), but I also found out the source of his trouble. He had an altercation with some older boys that escalated until it was essentially 4 on 1. In the end God made sure that the Holy Spirit was with me as I was able to really deal with the situation fairly calmly (including a second confrontation with the older boys in question). I could type out another hundred words on this - but, it really raised the stress level. We closed out the night getting all the kids to bed, and playing some more cards with our friends until about 12:00 midnight. For a variety of reasons I didn't get to sleep until about 2:30 (ugh). Up again at 7:00 AM for Breakfast, Chapel, and clean up. But we were home by 12:30. DS1 had a friend come over - which really was a blessing because, once I picked up McDonald's for lunch, and my beloved got 3 out of 4 loads of laundry started we both settled down and took naps while the kids played (with me in front of the tube for some football!). I kept up with the Panthers via the local Fox network (watching/sleeping-through the Redskins/Giants), and the NFL channel, and my cell phone - man they came close to losing that game. The Buccaneers come to Charlotte next week - and I don't mind saying that I am a little nervous for my Panthers in this one. Well, enough rambling for now... Verse for today: James 2:14-17, ESV What good is it, my brothers, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can that faith save him? If a brother or sister is poorly clothed and lacking in daily food, and one of you says to them, “Go in peace, be warmed and filled,” without giving them the things needed for the body, what good [2] is that? So also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead.

2 comments:

Amy L Buitendyk said...

What a weekend! Sounds like you had a good time overall though...

Hope this week is a little less stressful than the rest of the time has been for you!

Susan said...

What a neat weekend. And to share it with your family...now that's just special.

:-) Susan