20070919

Why do I do this?

It is getting close to my unit's APFT once again. For some reason I do not mainain my fitness level throughout the year, instead I wait until the last minute (i.e. - two to three months out) before I begin to work out again. As a result I end up torturing myself. I have been doing some light workouts for the past month or so. Last night I decided to "kick it up a notch". While I was at DS1's soccer practice I decided to utilize the track. What I decided on was the following:
  • Stretch lightly to give the muscle groups a 'heads up'
  • Wlk 1 lap in a brisk pace to warm up (this track is a little unusual in that it is 1/3 mile long)
  • Onlaps 2-10 (3 miles) I would walk 'briskly' around the corners and jog the straight-aways
  • The front stretch has two white lines painted across the track, approximately fifty meters apart... sprint (or jog as fast as I can) between these lines
  • After each lap perform one set of push up, and one set of sit ups - beginning with nine, and counting down after each lap (i.e. 9 first set, 8 the second, 7 the third, etc.)
  • Cool down by walking laps 11 and 12. After each of these another set of push ups and sit ups (10 then 5).
  • Stretch to ease the workout
I am still about two months out from the expected test date (maybe nine weeks). I am hopeful to keep this work out up by alternating between the one above and a more gentle one where I do one set of 30 push ups and 30 sit ups, and then jog out 3 miles - to start. Between each workout I will have at least one day of rest, and I know there will be some two day stretches. I will also slowly increase the "load" by adding laps to the distances, and about 10% to the push up and sit up reps. This all sounds very formal, but what I really need to do is make this a daily/weekly routine so that I am not in so much pain when I need to get ready for the APFT. :) Verse for today: 1 Corinthians 9:24-27, ESV Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one receives the prize? So run that you may obtain it. Every athlete exercises self-control in all things. They do it to receive a perishable wreath, but we an imperishable. So I do not run aimlessly; I do not box as one beating the air. But I discipline my body and keep it under control, [2] lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified.

2 comments:

Amy L Buitendyk said...

About the time you are taking your test I will be giving birth. LOL I wish I could be trying to get in shape and so on but it will have to wait!

Good luck and just keep up the hard work and be consistant! It is much easier...

Susan said...

Wow...that's quite a workout...I can't run at all...but I am definitely learning the power of regular exercise. I keep hoping that the "pain" is going to subside. My boys keep telling me, "It will, you have to give it time."

:-) Susan