20070726

Put one foot in front of the other...

I am not really sure, but I think I am at least partially insane. Why would I say this, and can someone who is partially insane really recognize it? And if they can, are they really insane? Way back when, when I was just starting High School, I decided I was going to join track team. Not the boring 100m dash, or hurdles type of track. No sir. I went straight out for the Cross Country team! Why would a relatively poor kid, with no real back ground in running - let alone long distance running - just decide one day to go out for the Cross Country team? I must be crazy. Well, due to various reasons with my home life I did not really make it on a team until my tenth grade. And, once again, I went out without even practicing before hand. The first day we ran twelve (12) miles! In the August heat of Washington DC area. I remember I didn't make it the whole distance, but I didn't quit either. Then, we ran twelve sets of hills. Hills that were about a hundred meters long. Once those were completed we ran twelve sets of wind sprints. The sprints were accomplished by running around the quarter mile oval around the football field, and on each straight away you ran all out. When you reached the corners you slowed to a jog. I was not really all that good. My best time - ever - was 20:03 for our home course. For those of you who actually know about this sport, that is not a really good time. Most of the winners were coming in around the 15:00 range. My only goal was really just to break the 20:00 'barrier', but alas it was never to happen. I did this for two seasons and I did not complete either season - dispite my team going to the state championships both years. I just did not feal that it would be appropriate for me to go when I never placed above 6th on my team (there were only six of us) and they only ever needed five to compete. Those two years served me well when I later joined the National Guard. Maybe too well. During the first week of basic training, when the drill Sergeants are all yelling at you and they are still trying to asses your fitness levels, they had us perform a complete Army Physical Fitness Test (APFT), and based on how well you ran the two-mile course determined weither you were placed in the slow, medium, or fast group. I made the fast group by only four seconds! That meant we always ran faster, and farther than the other two groups because, well, we were the fast group. I also had a brain cramp during the second week of basic. One of the four road guards in our group hurt his knee. For some reason I said, "I'll take your vest. When you heal up you can take it back". Guess what... he never took it back! For eleven weeks I ran in the fast group, and for eleven weeks I was essentially running wind sprints. You see, as a road guard you have to sprint ahead to an intersection, help stop on coming traffic, and then sprint back into formation! At the end of basic I ran two miles in 12:39. My best time ever (up to that point). Why am I bringing all this up? Well, recently I decided (after having my colesterol checked) that I need to get into better shape. So, I've started running again. I love to run when I am in shape. I love the burning sensation of my body trying to get enough air while I am jogging, the sensation of electricity running through my muscles. The chance to just clear my head and get away from things. But I am not in shape right now... so... I just hurt. LOL But, I'll get there. Verse for today: Hebrews 12:1-2, 12-13, ESV Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God. Therefore lift your drooping hands and strengthen your weak knees, and make straight paths for your feet, so that what is lame may not be put out of joint but rather be healed.

2 comments:

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

Wow. YOu never cease to amaze. I've heard of people like you who decide to run and go out there go several miles the very first time. Unbelievable! I admire your perseverence, overcoming stuff at home, still believing you could do it, joining the team and persevering when others might have quit. Oh my, the National Guard thing. I'm just at a loss for words. (Sorry this is so long!) I love "running," too, but it's only actually jogging; I can speed walk about as fast as my running pace! But I love the feeling of having pushed this ol' bod the way you described. Best of luck and blessings on your running!

samurai said...

Thank you for the encouragement. :)

The most important thing is to "just do it" ;)

As for me... I still enjoy just getting out there, but I have to be more careful. :) The recovery time is getting longer! LOL