20070703

I am a little afraid

A good friend of my Beloved has been going on and on about a video that has changed her life. How it just revolutionized her entire way of thinking. What was this revolutionary video? "The Secret" Because this woman insisted that this was so 'awesome' we needed to watch it, so last night my beloved and I sat down to watch it. If for nothing else we wanted to be able to talk with this friend about it. Pros, cons, whatever. I need to say that after watching this video we are very concerned for our friend and her family. I did not have a notepad handy, and I was just too... well, for lack of a better word, scared... to take notes. I may try and do that in the future though. Right now I just want to know how I can witness to this friend, who is a fairly new Christian. To be honest we turned it off after 30 minutes. What concerns me is that, just like any lie the enemy tries to propigate, there are enough threads of truth to draw you in. In the garden the enemy started with, "Did God actually say,... ". There is a lot to be said about the 'power of positive thinking', but it is presented in such a way that we - mankind - become the power to make good things happen. I am in prayer over this. This couple is coming over tonight for dinner (arranged before we watched the video) and I really want to be able to present the truth in such a way as to not discourage their pursuit of growth in Christ. One article I have found that will be a good help is found here: "Did Jesus know 'The Secret'?" by Robert Velarde Verse for today: Romans 1:19-25, ESV For what can be known about God is plain to them, because God has shown it to them. For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse. For although they knew God, they did not honor him as God or give thanks to him, but they became futile in their thinking, and their foolish hearts were darkened. Claiming to be wise, they became fools, and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images resembling mortal man and birds and animals and creeping things. Therefore God gave them up in the lusts of their hearts to impurity, to the dishonoring of their bodies among themselves, because they exchanged the truth about God for a lie and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever! Amen.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I haven't read or seen any of "The Secret" stuff, but I've read enough about it to be very wary. I'm glad you are in your friend's life and I will be praying for opportunities for you to speak the truth with love and grace.

Connie Barris said...

I hope you don't mind me popping in.. I saw your need for prayer from Linda...

I have watched the information on the Secret.. mainly because when I counsel, people ask me about it...

What I tell them is-- whatever questions they have... I always lead them to the Bible and see what it says... I never shoot down the Secret (where it's obvious anyway)... somethings are valid BUT it has to be backed in the Bible too..

I always tell them to validate anything and everything with the Bible.. because in the "end days" many things will come and go.. some will stay but will not be of God...our job will be to cypher it out through His Word..

If they see you are calm...and peaceful.. and look it up together in the Bible... man, I don't even know every verse in the Bible and probably never will.. but just doing it together so they know they don't have to have it all together... then... I think they will see the peace.. and love you have... that comes from Jesus...

I hope you didn't get more than you asked for here... if so, just delete me... smile

I will pray for wisdom and the Holy Spirit to be with you...

Blessings

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

I'm with Connie. And I'm honored you asked me to pray. The best deceptions contain a kernel or whole cob of truth; they're like "truth warped." I believed that you were supposed to share with this couple, and when you said you made the dinner plans before this, wow. I will be praying for you throughout this evening. Isn't it great to belong to a family where we can ask that of each other, support each other and have never met. I'm prayig Luke 12:11 for you. You may not be defending the faith in synagogues, but I believe this verse is meant to apply to us, too. You can do this by his grace.

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

I read a short piece this morning (4th) that made me think of your situation. I'd like to send it or copy it to you somehow; I think it will greatly encourage you.

samurai said...

Linda (and all of you), thank you for the encouragement. Although I am not totally confident the other couple understood what I was trying to say, I was glad that God gave me the courage to move forward.

Linda - I will see what I can do to contact you about that information. :) Thanks.