20070730

Its over for another year

Well VBS is over. We capped off the week with a pool party for the entire Church last night. It started off with me being a little nervous. For sometime I was geared up, helping my beloved prepare for her role as the Pre-School ministry team leader. Little things, like running to Sam's for bottled water, or like last Sunday, painting and modeling an old grill up to look like "Rusty the Robot" (Unforunately I did not get any pictures). Other than helping as needed in the Pre School area I had only planned on shadowing DS2 to help him with the competitive and transition times. Last Sunday, as I am putting the finishing touches on 'Rusty' I am approached by the VBS team lead and asked if I would consider leading the 5th grade group - this is only four hours before the first meeting mind you. I did what most any other father and church member would do in that situation... I said yes, without any real clue how I was going to pull it off. Note: I'd never led a small group for kids before... I took the teaching material home and read over it to get as ready as I could. When I showed up Sunday night I was met by another last minute volunteer. We shared notes, and we opted on alternating nights doing the teaching. Since he had had a lot more experience (teaching in previous VBS weeks, as well as AWANA's) he took the first night. This 'left' me with two nights of teaching - Monday, and Wednesday. It was a lot of fun, and the time went by pretty quickly. DS1 was the most happy with the situation as he had just 'graduated' from the 5th grade so he was among the kids I was working with. I'm not sure how much, or what kind of, an impact I had on these kids, but it was a lot of fun. Still, I am glad it's over. A whole week of pretty much a non-stop schedule can wear a fella down. But the good news is, I am considering trying to teach a little when AWANA's starts up again in September. Verse for today: Luke 11:9-13, ESV And I tell you, ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives, and the one who seeks finds, and to the one who knocks it will be opened. What father among you, if his son asks for [4] a fish, will instead of a fish give him a serpent; or if he asks for an egg, will give him a scorpion? If you then, who are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will the heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!”

2 comments:

Susan said...

It can certainly wear you out, but I am sure it was a blessing to you as well. What a neat thing to have men teaching VBS....it's so important for kids. Thank you for saying yes...I believe it makes a "kingdom difference".

Blessings.

:-) Susan

samurai said...

Thank you for the encouragement. :)

I cannot remember the song, but I think it has the line, "I am a life that was changed"... it talks about walking along the shore in Heaven and the singer was approached by someone who's life was changed...

May God work those miracles through me - dispite me. ;-)

And you, and your family as well. :)