20070711

The Battery Guidon

While I continue to work on my testimony I thought I would post a situation that happened over my last drill weekend. We had several members of our unit return from an overseas mission recently, and this past drill weekend was their first since returning. With so many people returning I was able to deligate the Guidon responsibility to one young soldier. It was a pretty laid back weekend with the tempo of activity being very low. Without being specific the soldier allowed himself, and the Guidon, to get soiled. He also made a mess in another soldiers tent (the one he was sleeping in). Our Guidon is not all that spectacular to look at, but it has a history within our unit. Needless to say, being the interim First Sergeant and acting battery commander, I had to take action. We were away from our homestation so cleaning it up was not an immediate option. In the interim this soldier performed several sets of push-ups and flutter kicks. It was his assigned responsibility to take care of this flag, and not only did he not protect it, but he was the instrument of its damage. Once we returned to home station he was instructed to handwash the Guidon (I also gave him the opportunity to handwash his uniform). Once he was done he was instructed to facilitate the drying of the flag by running it around the motorpool (ten laps). It was pretty hot, so I ensured another soldier watched him, and when he was done that he drank water. At the end of the day I asked the soldiers present if anyone had any problem with how the disciplinary actions were taken. The only concern brought up was the running around the compound. I also took the soldier aside and spoke with him. I made sure he understood that it was nothing personal. I realize that I am speaking to a wide diversity, or at least exposing myself, audience. And I don't expect everyone to understand. But this is a serious thing in my 'world'. Not just the Guidon, but in establishing the fact of who it is that is in charge. I often worry about what others think of me. Too much in my own opinion. But I struggle with doing what needs to be done (at least as I understand it), and worry about what others think. But in situations of Leadership I believe that it is very important to establish the chain of command. "Mold without breaking" is my primary concern. Anyway, before I get off rambling... that is a glimpse of a recent weekend. An insight into what a Guidon is check out this link: A Guide to the Guidon. Verse for today: Colossians 1:15-20, ESV He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation. For by [6] him all things were created, in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities—all things were created through him and for him. And he is before all things, and in him all things hold together. And he is the head of the body, the church. He is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead, that in everything he might be preeminent. For in him all the fullness of God was pleased to dwell, and through him to reconcile to himself all things, whether on earth or in heaven, making peace by the blood of his cross.

1 comment:

Jobove - Reus said...

That good blog that you have, congratulations regards from Catalonia - Spain