20070725

And in other news...

... Training camp opens up this Friday for the Carolina Panthers. A new season is always exciting because nothing has happened yet. For twelve seasons now the Panthers have not put together two consecutive winning seasons. They've gone 8-8, but that is not 9-7. I have been happy with Coach John Fox at the helm. Without a doubt he has been the most successful head coach the Panthers have had. I think the fans (usually spurred on by the media) are too short sighted. There are 32 teams in the NFL. Of those teams only 12 make it to the playoffs. That will leave 20 teams sitting home the first week of the post season. Even with parity in the leage it is unreasonable to think a team is going to make it every three years, and with parity it is unreasonable to expect a team to make it every year. What the Patriots have done is nothing short of amazing in my opinion. Under coach fox the Panthers have been 7-9, 11-5, 7-9, 11-5, and 8-8. This whole rumor thing about Coach Cower coming out of retirement is silly. I mean, what does he have left to prove anyway? He's already been successful? The whole reason he retired was so that he could spend more time with his family. Why would he walk back into football again? If he did I would expect a similar result that we had under Coach Siefert (whom I still highly respect as a successful Head Coach). As fans, let's just sit back, enjoy football again. The NFC South looks to be a volitile as ever. The New Orleans Saints have not done anything to make me think last year was any kind of fluke. Often people point to the lack of consistancy in the teams record, but with a fairly new coach (who has done pretty well so far), and an offense that has confidence, I say look out until it is proven otherwise. This is the team Carolina needs to keep an eye on most. The Tampa Bay Buccaneers should not be counted out either. Last year they took a major hit to their morale when Chris Simms went down (and no, I am not bragging that it was the Panthers that did it to him), and they are going to look to prove a point. But I am not sure he is their QB to take them to the post season. That is only my opinion. And the Panthers have 'owned' this team in recent years... the winds of change can blow at any time. The team that I think is going to have the biggest questions mark is the Atlanta Falcons. It's easy to jump on the bandwagon and write this team off this season, but in a way the tribulations they are facing right now could be happeining at an opportune time. With Micheal Vick not coming to camp this Thursday it allows the team to focus on those who are there. It also helps remove some of teh distraction. I will be following the legal woes of #7, but I think the Falcons should not be counted out - at least not yet. I will reserve my opinion on this team until 23 September when my Panthers make the trip to Atlanta and they meet on the gridiron. Other than the NFC South, which should always be Carolina's main focus, the games I am most looking forward to are: 28-October - The Indianapolis Colts are coming to Charlotte. Say what you want about the Colts, but they are the defending Super Bowl Champions, and they are until someone else knocks them out. 9-December - The Jacksonville Jaguars will be hosting the Panthers. I want the Panthers to beat this team in the regular season so bad I can taste it. :) I could look it up, but I am pretty sure the Jags lead the series. Winning the first ever game that the Panthers played - the hall of fame game in the summer of '95 - is a sweet memory, but it does not mean anything in regards to the regular season. 22-December - The Dallas Cowboys come to Charlotte. I know the Panthers play well against this team in the post season, but the Cowboys really take charge during the regular season. Besides, this is the only primetime game I will get to see of the Panthers. A family at church are also Carolina Panthers fans, and they had a good idea. We can go to our local Buffalo Wild Wings and catch the games. Of course, my beloved was less than enthusiastic... but I might try and catch a game or two anyway... Verse for today: Psalm 125, ESV Those who trust in the Lord are like Mount Zion, which cannot be moved, but abides forever. As the mountains surround Jerusalem, so the Lord surrounds his people, from this time forth and forevermore. For the scepter of wickedness shall not rest on the land allotted to the righteous, lest the righteous stretch out their hands to do wrong. Do good, O Lord, to those who are good, and to those who are upright in their hearts! But those who turn aside to their crooked ways the Lord will lead away with evildoers! Peace be upon Israel!

1 comment:

Susan said...

Hooray, football season is close! I am hoping that my Bucs do well this year. I hear that Tony Dungy's new book is a wonderful read...it's on my "to do" list. Wishing your Panthers a great season (when they aren't playing Tampa Bay)!

:-) Susan