20070709

My appoligies.... I totally dropped the ball about letting you all know how the meeting went with the couple who recommended "The Secret" to us. Well, to recap... some friends were all excited about this motivational movie they had seen. How it totally changed their way of thinking, etc. They then loaned it to us (after, we later found out, loaning it to at least two other couples in the church - including one of the Pastors). But for one reason or another my beloved and I took our time to get around to it. We finally got around to watching it last Monday night... and we were... to put it nicely, distrubed. Very 'New Age-ish'. It talks a lot about the how thoughts supposedly send out 'radio-like' waves out into the universe and how they ultimately bring about the things in our lives. Good, bad, whatever. So, for example, if you think positively about getting that new promotion at work - you will get it. If all you think about is debt and the bills, well... that is all you will get. There is so much I want to say, but I don't think I could articulate my thoughts right now. Bottom line, I encourage all Bible believing Christians to avoid this video. Well, on Tuesday, we had this couple over. I was very nervous on how to bring my concerns up to them. They are fairly 'young' Christians, and they were so very excited about the video. I visited several of the blogs of people I consider well grounded in their faith, and asked them to pray for me. Which I believe they all did, because it seemed to go well. :) They arrived and I was still getting my thoughts and notes together. I was not quite ready when my beloved jumped in with both feet (she is known for doing that actually ;) ). We talked rapidly (by that I mean, back and forth - not yelling, arguing, or in turmoil - just thoughts going back and forth regularaly. i.e. not us lecturing). Looking back almost a week later this is how I might summarize it. They told us that while they agree it is not Christian in view, there are good things to be taken out of it. They didn't really elaberate on that though. Meanwhile my beloved and I shared that we felt this 'teaching' was dangerous, and although we agree that thinking positively about things - in light of our relationship with the only being we can 100% trust - that it is dangerous ground. I had wanted to use the example of how bank tellers and the Secret Service do not spend countless hours studying fake and counterfit dollar bills. Instead they spend countless hours studying the authentic currency. They become so familiar with what the original is supposed to look like that when a fake one comes along they just 'see' it. That is the same thing we are supposed to do as Christians. We need to study God, study his Word, spend time with Him in prayer, seek Him daily/hourly/moment-by-moment - so that when the false teachings come along we too will 'see' it. But I failed to do so - that night. I guess I was distracted by them telling us that one thing the video did for them was it drew them to their Bible daily. For that, I am glad they saw the video. Just like the Bible says, "we know that for those who love God all things work together for good... [7]" (Romans 8:28, esv). Verse for today: Romans 8:26-30, ESV Likewise the Spirit helps us in our weakness. For we do not know what to pray for as we ought, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words. And he who searches hearts knows what is the mind of the Spirit, because [6] the Spirit intercedes for the saints according to the will of God. And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, [7] for those who are called according to his purpose. For those whom he foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, in order that he might be the firstborn among many brothers. And those whom he predestined he also called, and those whom he called he also justified, and those whom he justified he also glorified.

1 comment:

Alise said...

It sounds very much like some of the actual Christian "health and wealth" type teaching that also makes me a little crazy. I hope you do have an opportunity to share with them about the studying the real thing -- it's just so true! I pray that as they study the real thing, their eyes are openned to the false teaching they have received.

~A