20061011

Words to Live by

Normally I would have waited until tomorrow to post but the inspirtation struck me as I was wrapping up a study session. Here are some quotes that really define my way of thinking and sort of form a guidline for how I live my life:
-=-=-=0=-=-=-
The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures. He leads me beside still waters. [1] He restores my soul. He leads me in paths of righteousness [2] for his name's sake.
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, [3] I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.
You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; you anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows. Surely [4] goodness and mercy [5] shall follow me all the days of my life, and I shall dwell [6] in the house of the Lord forever. [7]
-=-=-=0=-=-=-
It is Not the Critic Who Counts
"It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled or where the doer of deeds might have done better.
The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, and spends himself in a worthy cause; who, if he wins knows triumph of high achievement; and who, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat."
-Theodore Roosevelt
-=-=-=0=-=-=-
Samurai Code Chu - Duty & Loyalty: For the samurai, having done some “thing” or said some “thing,” he knows he owns that “thing.” He is responsible for it and all the consequences that follow. A samurai is immensely loyal to those in his care. To those he is responsible for, he remains fiercely true. Gi - Justice & Morality: Be acutely honest throughout your dealings with all people. Believe in justice, not from other people, but from yourself. To the true samurai, there are no shades of gray in the question of honesty and justice. There is only right and wrong. Jin - Compassion: Through intense training the samurai becomes quick and strong. He is not as other men. He develops a power that must be used for the good of all. He has compassion. He helps his fellow man at every opportunity. If an opportunity does not arise, he goes out of his way to find one. Makoto - Complete Sincerity: When a samurai has said he will perform an action, it is as good as done. Nothing will stop him from completing what he has said he will do. He does not have to “give his word.” He does not have to “promise.” The action of speaking alone has set the act of doing in motion. Speaking and doing are the same action. Meiyo - Honor: A true samurai has only one judge of his honor, and that is himself. Decisions you make and how these decisions are carried out are a reflection of whom you truly are. You cannot hide from yourself. Rei - Polite Courtesy: Samurai have no reason to be cruel. They do not need to prove their strength. A samurai is courteous even to his enemies. Without this outward show of respect, we are nothing more than animals. A samurai is not only respected for his strength in battle, but also by his dealing with other men. The true inner strength of a samurai becomes apparent during difficult times. Yu - Heroic Courage: Rise up above the masses of people that are afraid to act. Hiding like a turtle in a shell is not living at all. A samurai must have heroic courage. It is absolutely risky. It is dangerous. It is living life completely, fully, wonderfully. Heroic courage is not blind. It is intelligent and strong. Replace fear with respect and caution.
-=-=-=0=-=-=-
"To move swiftly, strike vigorously, and secure the fruits of victory is the secret of a successful war" - Thomas J. Jackson
-=-=-=0=-=-=-
Updates: Samurai Yarns Verse for today: Psalm 23 - which I posted above. :) God bless one and all.

1 comment:

WMD said...

Everytime I read your blog I am both amazed and inspired... this is honestly one of my favorite blogs to read.