20061005

Gyroscopes and hurtling through life

Anyone who has ridden a bicycle or motorcycle has experienced first hand the power of what a gyroscope will do. Now, I probably don't have this done hard but this is my 'theory'. As the wheels spin the centrifical force helps hold the vehicle upright. The heavier the wheel, the harder it becomes to lean it and get it to turn (even though it's not so difficult as to make it impossible). Or, have you ever held up one of those toy gyroscopes? Get them to spinning and it actually gets harder to turn them over. Gyroscopes are very interesting things. They are used to help hold the international space station in orbit. They are used to assist in flight paths, and things like that. This morning I was thinking about how we in life have various 'gyroscopes' in our own lives. We have our personalities, and our health (spiritual, relational, physical) - things like that. And when one of them is out of wack it can cause problems. When life is coming (or going) slow instabilities in the 'gyroscope' are almost imperceptable. But speed that sucker up and the imperfections become noticable. Sort of like a tire that has not been properly balanced. Now sometimes two different 'gyroscopes' will counter act each other and although the steering wheel will woble, life stays on course. But continue to spin it up.... Sooner or later there is nothing that can hide that something is off kilter. Eventually something like an "exploding CD" effect can take place. Whatever is out of kilter - if not properly attended to and maintained from time to time - will eventually have a catostrophic failure. For me the primary 'gyroscope' needs to be my spiritual gyroscope. The one that helps my walk with God. Many times the relational one will try and override the guidance of the other one... but sooner or later it becomes obvious. Not really sure where I am coming from, or where I was going with on this one... it was just a thought that came to mind. Yet another example of me blogging to work things out in my own head. lol Updates: None Verse for today: John 14:1-7, esv “Let not your hearts be troubled. Believe in God; [1] believe also in me. In my Father's house are many rooms. If it were not so, would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you? And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, that where I am you may be also. And you know the way to where I am going.” [2] Thomas said to him, “Lord, we do not know where you are going. How can we know the way?” Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. If you had known me, you would have known my Father also. [3] From now on you do know him and have seen him.”

No comments: