20100901

Random Dozen Wednesday - 20100901

Hello!  Welcome to Wednesday and that means it is time for the Random Dozen. Linda over at 2nd Cup of Coffee hosts this fun meme.  Surf on over and check her blog out!

1. What insect are you most afraid of? Feel free to post a picture.
I hate to admit it, but spiders.  There is something about spiders that i actually get the willies.  You know, that weird loss of muscle control.  It usually happens right after i've killed one in some method.  My favorite is using ant spray on them.  When we first moved into the house we live in now we found this powder like stuff and i lined the walls in the basement.  Until recently we've not had any trouble with spiders down there... man, i really need to find that stuff again.

2. What is the greenest/most organic thing about you or that you do?
Well, i dabble with some recycling, but i am not really all that consistent.  I've installed quite a lot of those energy saver bulbs.  You know, the ones that look k like the bulb was wrapped around some rod.  But to be honest, the greenest thing i do is i still drive my 2000 Toyota Echo, which still gets 36+ MPG around town, and in the lower 40's on the highway.  I keep it in good running shape, change the oil regularly, rotate the tires, make sure they have proper inflation.  It is at 130k miles and still runs very well.

3. Tell me about a recurring dream that haunts you.
I've not had a recurring dream in quite some time, but when i did it was me running through some sort of apocalyptic urban environment.  The running part would last the entire dream, and i was never really sure what i was running from.  I remember just before they ended though, that just after i became a Christian i vividly remember have this dream and then in the middle of it i stopped, said to myself "i don't have to run anymore."  I remember turning around, reaching down and picking up a snake (with my hand just behind it's head), looking at it, and then (i am pretty sure) i tossed it into some sort of pit.  I've had this dream once or twice over the past twenty or so years, but they never last all night like they used to.
"I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring [5] and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heel.” (Genesis 3:15, ESV)

4. Have you ever missed a flight? What were the circumstances?
Not that i readily remember, but then i am not a frequent flier either.  We did come close once when flying out of Dallas.  We arrived at the airport in time to check in and eat a meal post security checkpoint.  We checked the flight status before leaving for the airport, when we checked in, and once more before we sat down to eat.  The gate assignment had already changed once before we sat down to eat.  After we ate, we checked the gate assignment and status... on time, but at a new gate.  Anyone who has flown out of DFW knows that a gate within a section is a pretty good trip at times, but when you have to go from, say C1 to A4... it's quite a hike.  We arrive at the new gate, everything is Kosher... we wait to be called to board.  15 minutes before flight time there is another change - i know this sounds highly unlikely, but when it is announced by the person wearing the uniform at the gate (who also calls passengers to be boarded) you listen.  Back on the shuttle thingie and shuffle as fast as a family of five can with a bunch of other passengers hustling to catch their flight.  Literally as we are getting in our seats the Captain comes on the speakers asking us to take out seats as he is trying to beat a storm that is coming into the area.  Although we made that flight... our luggage did not.  I am just glad we were heading home.

5. What do you consider your best feature?
Umm... never really thought about it, so... i really have no clue.  My hands?

6. What was the last concert you went to?
That was so long ago... i don't remember.  I think it was a Petra concert.  I remember it was so loud that i couldn't think and i a had a really bad headache.  Much past the 3rd song i don't remember being able to hear the music all that well either...

7. Describe the most embarrassing church moment you ever experienced.
For me it was when my mom was having me attend a church youth group.  There was some kind of all night deal, and i remember the girls singled me out for some unremembered reason.  I remember being really embarrassed...

8. Are you a whistler, hummer or singer?
The answer to this question is yes. Depending on my mood, the song that comes to mind, and where i am will determine my output.  Although, to be honest, humming is not a regular occurrence for me.  And i usually don't care who is around.  My co-workers have gotten used to me.. .so that's a good thing.

9. George Washington Carver said, "I love to think of nature as an unlimited broadcasting station, through which God speaks to us every hour, if we will only tune in." What is God saying to you through nature today, or this very minute?
Right now?  Um... that just because i have thoughts and feelings similar to what He has, does not mean that my thoughts and feelings are the same as His.
"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, declares the Lord."  (Isaiah 55:8, ESV)

10. On September, 1, 1752, the Liberty Bell arrived in Philadelphia. What memorable event will take place in your life on September 1, 2010?
*snicker*  I have NO clue.  Stand by as the story develops!

11. Taco Bell or the Liberty Bell? (You must choose.)
Taco Bell of course!  Philadelphians are known to be rude, and very vocal.  I have no idea about their hospitality, but if throwing batteries at Santa Clause is a normal, acceptable, activity. then i have no desire to visit the place.  Taco Bell on the other hand has tasty little taco's and other delectable delights.

12. Do you believe men and women can have purely platonic friendships?
I believe so, when it is kept in the context of friendship.  I do believe that there will come times when there will be a desire, a temptation if you will, to move beyond those 'boundaries'.  It is how those times are dealt with by both parties that will determine if the relationship remains platonic.  In today's day and age we are too apt to just give in to those feelings though.  Is it possible, but is it likely?  To me that is the question.  One that is answered by self control, self discipline, peer group, and personal beliefs.






1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mmmmm Taco Bell - that sounds good at this time of the morning!

I wish I was a fly on the wall to listen to you sing! I really want to know if you are good or not! LOL

I am glad you have a best feature!