20080401

What a crazy day

My boss is away on vacation - which is good, because everyone needs a vacation from time to time - so I have been extremely busy. As a result I don't have a single theme to run with today.

The first item I want to mention is a cross shaped MP3 player. Personally I think this is pretty cool. It comes with the New Testament already loaded (KJV), and has 1GB of storage space so that you can upload more Bible versions, or the OT, or even praise and worship songs. According to the website (click on the image for more info - and no, I am not getting anything out of it) it sells for $59, which is a little steep for me right now, but not unreasonable considering the storage space, and the preloaded audio Bible.

The next thing is that I joined two more groups on Facebook (I know, I know... it's out of hand), both are fan pages. One is for TJ "Stonewall" Jackson, and the other is for Robert E. Lee. I know that both of these men are controversial in the light of the American Civil War, and all that goes along with that. But as I have studied these two men (in particular) I have come to know them both as God fearing individuals.

I know that General Lee was anti-slavery (read about him from the at the Arlington House website - or even better, visit the site in person) and freed those slaves that he gained when he married (not right away unfortunately). Lee was a man who struggled with what was the right thing to do, and in the end he performed his duty to the best of his ability.

I have admired General Jackson for a long time. Ever since I learned about his courage at the First Battle of Bull Run. A quote I found at the Facebook group page pretty much sums up why I respect this man;

"My religious belief teaches me to feel as safe in battle as in bed. God has fixed the time for my death. I do not concern myself about that, but to be always ready, no matter when it may overtake me"

This is how we should all live our lives when it comes to what God has called us to. But I know we (and I include myself in this statement) we too often do not. We weigh the costs a little too much. What both of these men 'suffer' from is that they both considered their responsibility to their homeland more important than their responsibility to man. I can say such things because I can look back over time and use that as my guide. But if I were to stand in their shoes I cannot honestly say I would have done anything different. The same could be said about those who stood in the crowd before Pilate calling for him to release Barabbas (Matthew 27) instead of the One I now call my Lord and Savior. To believe anything else is to misjudge my own sinfulness and tendencies (barring the influence and affect of the Holy Spirit who now dwells within me).
Verse for today:
Matthew 27 : 15-23, ESV
Now at the feast the governor was accustomed to release for the crowd any one prisoner whom they wanted. And they had then a notorious prisoner called Barabbas. So when they had gathered, Pilate said to them, “Whom do you want me to release for you: Barabbas, or Jesus who is called Christ?” For he knew that it was out of envy that they had delivered him up. Besides, while he was sitting on the judgment seat, his wife sent word to him, “Have nothing to do with that righteous man, for I have suffered much because of him today in a dream.” Now the chief priests and the elders persuaded the crowd to ask for Barabbas and destroy Jesus. The governor again said to them, “Which of the two do you want me to release for you?” And they said, “Barabbas.” Pilate said to them, “Then what shall I do with Jesus who is called Christ?” They all said, “Let him be crucified!” And he said, “Why, what evil has he done?” But they shouted all the more, “Let him be crucified!”

No comments: