20080403

Mid-week outing

Last night I had a rare 'slow' night with the kids. By slow I mean, no soccer practice, no Autism stuff, no music stuff, etc. So, instead of kicking back and taking it easy with the kids at home I took DS2, and DD3 out to see "Horton Hears a Who". DS2 has really been wanting to go and see this movie and he has really been digging in and trying to do a good job at school and his homework. Since he was rewarded with a "homework pass" for going the extra mile and doing some extra credit work on Tuesday, I thought it was a great opportunity.

When we arrived DD3 was like, "I don't want to see this movie again" (she had seen it as a field trip with her kindergarten class for good behavior). *sigh* It took a little coaxing but she finally agreed to it.

It was a fun movie, and I liked how the writers, etc. extended this classic to about 90 minutes. Some people who might be sensitive to how certain things are portrayed might find some slights here or there, but I found that if you step back you will see that the "stereotype" was actually merged with a few others that are not normally found together. Overall though, we had a good time.

I wanted to touch back on two recent topics, one was about my Musical Monday concerns, and the other is a situation with my local church.

I received a note back from Sovereign Grace music who informed me that I was doing a good job providing links, etc. so they were ok with it. But they also let me know that they were not speaking for other music sources, so... I will just be careful to make sure I provide adequate credit.

The second item is a little more sensitive. I agree with PJ on her recent comment about secrets within the church. They can be like a cancer if untreated. But I am concerned that the probing around and bringing what little I know to light may cause more harm than good. What I am concerned about is enough to force me to consider changing churches, but I do not want to cause a division within the body of believers either. My beloved and I have moved because of (different) things we saw in another church we went to - but when we brought them up all that happened was were belittled and questioned. It took almost ten years for things to grow to the point where others finally saw it, the issue confronted, and a massive painful split occurred. Many of our friends continue to go to that church, and the leadership in place now is much better. So much so, that we are considering (well, at least I am) moving back there. Right now, I am still in prayer as to what to do. Our care group leader and I have talked about this, and have agreed to pray more about it. One 'scary' thing that came up was that we both thought about doing the 'Home Church'. I am nervous about such a thing - well, I may bring that up in a latter blog, but suffice it to say, that I have had 'inklings' about my involvement in some fashion or another. I always chicken out because of my own failings and sinfulness and pride.
Verse for today:
Psalm 119 : 25-32, ESV
My soul clings to the dust;
give me life according to your word!
When I told of my ways, you answered me;
teach me your statutes!
Make me understand the way of your precepts,
and I will meditate on your wondrous works.
My soul melts away for sorrow;
strengthen me according to your word!
Put false ways far from me
and graciously teach me your law!
I have chosen the way of faithfulness;
I set your rules before me.
I cling to your testimonies, O Lord;
let me not be put to shame!
I will run in the way of your commandments
when you enlarge my heart! [5]

1 comment:

Susan said...

I know there are different feelings on the home church movement. I know you are seeking to do what God wants YOU to do. I don't always think being divisive is good...or even bringing something to light that isn't ours to "bring up"...but it sounds like whatever it is, it has stirred you up for sure.

I pray that you find a way to resolve your stand on it really soon.

Blessings,

Susan