20080227

Wonderful Wednesday

Ok, it's not a great title, but I was stuck - and it came to mind. ;-)

Yesterday I was waxing nostalgic about when I first enlisted in the Guard in 1986. I actually had a little trouble enlisting. Right off the bat I had to get some medical information for a condition I had while growing up, actually from two doctors. At first I think the recruiter didn't take me seriously, but after I called him once a week for a month or so he began to work with me to get the info and the waivers. My first drill was in July, and I was sent to the Recruit Training school somewhere in MD.

At this training school we were basically grilled like the Drill Sergeants of old. We would be tossed out of the rack at O'dark hundred where we would be marched and PT'd (physical training) until breakfast, then some more till lunch, etc. till dinner. Sunday was not as bad, we usually did some classroom like instruction on the Uniform Code of Military Justice, and then be sent home. I only had to go there twice, and for both times it was only for a weekend. One of the weekends I remember getting woken up at some point in the middle of the night. I was doing push-ups so long that my hands began slipping on the gym floor because I was sweating so much.

In the end it helped get me ready for basic training. When it came time I was able to do the minimum required number of push-ups to leave the reception station... a whole 10 pushups. ;-)
Verse for today:
1 John 4:7-12, ESV
Beloved, let us love one another, for love is from God, and whoever loves has been born of God and knows God. Anyone who does not love does not know God, because God is love. In this the love of God was made manifest among us, that God sent his only Son into the world, so that we might live through him. In this is love, not that we have loved God but that he loved us and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins. Beloved, if God so loved us, we also ought to love one another. No one has ever seen God; if we love one another, God abides in us and his love is perfected in us.

No comments: