20080228

The struggles of maintaining ones career

Well, I am struggling this year. I really cannot complain because God has been so incredibly faithful and generous in providing me with the job and career that I do have. But this year is a little harder than I expected and I am struggling with it.

By God's grace I managed to 'miss' three rounds of layoffs with my employer, one just before I was deployed, and two while I was on active duty and they couldn't lay me off. When I came back my position was moved to the swing shift. When I informed my supervisor that I didn't want to move I was basically told "too bad", and given 30 days to find another position/job, or move to the new schedule. Within a week the Lord provided me with a new position, with a great supervisor. The only catch was I had to take a 10% reduction in pay, and drop two pay-grades. I jumped at the new position and have been very glad I did. Because of this position I have survived two more rounds of layoffs.

Last year (four years after taking this position) I finally caught up to where my previous salary, and one of the pay grades. But with the price of gas and the rest of the inflation rate I am most assuredly farther behind. A new wrinkle... not only are there more layoffs (which I am going to survive again - thank You Lord), but there are no pay raises this year. No one in the entire company. But that is not all.

Some may know how much I struggle to study for, and then pass certain certification exams, but my CCNA is due to expire at the end of May. I've tried all of the in-house training materials, but I get lost. So I've looked outside for the materials but was told that no expenses will be approved. That all the training I require is in house. *sigh* I know I am safe, but I would like to get through this certification process once more...
Verse for today:
Proverbs 3:5-10, ESV
Trust in the Lord with all your heart,
and do not lean on your own understanding.
In all your ways acknowledge him,
and he will make straight your paths.
Be not wise in your own eyes;
fear the Lord, and turn away from evil.
It will be healing to your flesh [2]
and refreshment [3] to your bones.

Honor the Lord with your wealth
and with the firstfruits of all your produce;
then your barns will be filled with plenty,
and your vats will be bursting with wine.

1 comment:

GUNNY said...

"Within a week the Lord provided me with a new position, with a great supervisor."

It's a roller coaster ride, isn't it? There's joy at the end of that week, but the school of learning to trust during that week.

God is good, though it's so often hard to understand how He will work our circumstances for His glory and our good.

I pray that God is glorified in His continued provision for your family, brother.