20071114

Rest interrupted

Well, my 'mini vacation' was interrupted by the telephone at 06:50 this morning. It was the midnight shift guys letting me know that the 'bossman' was very ill, and I would be needed to come in and attend all of the daily/weekly meetings for him. Such is life, but I've since talked with 'bossman' and he's agreed to let me take a replacement day saometime in the "near future". Who knows... I might be able to start my Thanksgiving break a little early? :)

Today has been a whirlwind, but here are some random thoughts...

For some reason the song "Juke Box Hero" (by Foreigner) has been playing in mind over, and over, and over again... I really have no idea why. So, I've played it a few times from a You Tube video. I don't get it... but it's like being unable to scratch an itch or something!



For the past week or so, I have really been turning over the subject of knowing, and being known by, God. The verses "“Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. On that day many will say to me, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works in your name?’ And then will I declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from me, you workers of lawlessness.’" (Matthew 7:21-23, ESV), has been something I dwell on from time to time. Not just for my own edification, but so that I can (hopefully) explain it others if asked. One particular sub-theme of this as been (for me) the act of repentence. Over at Steve Camp's blog (yes the contemporary Christian musician) there is an excellent post regarding this very subject. I highly recommend it to anyone wanting to ponder such things.

I enjoy writing the occasional short story, but I have been 'dry' for about 3 months now. I have ideas and concepts... continuations of several story lines I've started, but it's just not coming out. At least not in a cohesive form. I'm itching to write... I've just not had the time to sit and plug (i.e. bang) away at it until I clear that hurdle. I've been trying to carry a notebook around to jot notes in... but I've not been disciplined enough to follow through on that. gotta get off my duff!

Speaking of discipline... I need to get out and start running again. I know this is not the normal time a year to start such things, but my back has sidelined me from doing any serious exercise since late April. I've already missed two APFT test times, and I don't want to go out (retire) on a profile - unable to complete my expected check marks. My back still has some aches, and I am still seeing a chyropractor once aq month, but he feels it should be ok to start light running, and even some sit-ups (the later filling me with dread even thinking about it).

Coming back to music before I close things out for today, if you are one who enjoys praise and worship music I can cannot recommend the blog Worship Matters enough. It is written by a man who leads worship in church every Sunday. For me it has been very insightful.

Well, that's all I have for today... God bless...



Verse for today:
Phillipians 4:8-9, ESV
Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. What you have learned and received and heard and seen in me—practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you.

2 comments:

Susan said...

That's "all you have for today"??? That was a lot!! Thanks for sharing those other blogs.

Blessings.

Susan

samurai said...

hahaha - well, I sort of started it, then added to it during the day... then realized I needed to post it...