20070815

Getting ready for the '07-'08 "busy" season

We are getting close to the time of year when the kids head back to school, so I need to prepare myself for the "busy" season once again. DD3 (she's our only daughter, but child #3) begins full day kindergarden this year. Both she and her mother are looking forward to it (supposedly). But for different reasons I'm sure. My beloved, who at one time talked about heading back to the work force as soon as possible, is now talking about getting long "overdue" projects done around the house. After school DD3 wants to do gymnastics. DS2 will be starting at a new school this year. I have mixed emotions and thoughts about this. It seems every year we struggle with his teachers and special ed aides. Every year we have to re-explain what Aspergers is, how it manifests itself in our child - even though the aides are supposed to be fully trained in it. The month to month we fight the battles with both our son and the school system. In order to help him we have him in both a 'social behavior study' and 'therapy' lessons (one is once a month, the other is once a week). DS1 is also starting a new school this year. He is growing up so fast (he's only eleven). He is only about 5 inches shorter than I am, and he's becoming so much more aware of the world around him (which is playing havoc on me and the Mrs. getting some alone time if you know what I mean). He wants to play soccer this fall, which we love for him to do. Especially since his brother and sister demand so much more attention - he is often left on the sidelines. The result is 3 kids, in 3 schools, each with their own activities. And the things listed above are in addition to the church activities. Some are required, others are not. But it is just so hard to know where to draw the line. We want each of them to have their own intrests, and friends, but we (the parents) are finite in what we can support and provide. We struggle with alone time as it is. I really dread this time of year. Well, except for football season of course. :~) Verse for today: Proverbs 24:30-34, ESV I passed by the field of a sluggard, by the vineyard of a man lacking sense, and behold, it was all overgrown with thorns; the ground was covered with nettles, and its stone wall was broken down. Then I saw and considered it; I looked and received instruction. A little sleep, a little slumber, a little folding of the hands to rest, and poverty will come upon you like a robber, and want like an armed man.

2 comments:

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

Oh, but I'd SO like a little sleep, a little slumber! Wow, I feel for you having three in three schools. My goodness. And, let me tell you, time alone with the Mrs. gets even trickier when they're all in their teens! But I know you agree that these really are the good, blessed years. I'll pray for your family that these transitions go smoothly.

Alise said...

Praying for you as you enter the new school year. Have a blessed "busy" season!

~A