20070601

The Power of the tongue

Recently I have become increaingly aware of exactly how much trouble I have communicating accurately with my beloved. I will say something and she will reply, "What do you mean?" And I think over what I was saying, and usually I end up repeating what I said before. It's not just one way either. She will be telling me something and I am replying, "what do you mean?". LOL But it's not just when we are talking to each other. In general it's about the overall assumptions.
Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear. (Ephesians 4:29, ESV)
And yet I struggle at times with this when dealing with my own wife. :( And there is so much I wish I could tell her... and vice versa. Verse for today: Ephesians 5:25-33, ESV Husbands, love your wives, as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her, that he might sanctify her, having cleansed her by the washing of water with the word, so that he might present the church to himself in splendor, without spot or wrinkle or any such thing, that she might be holy and without blemish. [1] In the same way husbands should love their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself. For no one ever hated his own flesh, but nourishes and cherishes it, just as Christ does the church, because we are members of his body. “Therefore a man shall leave his father and mother and hold fast to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh.” This mystery is profound, and I am saying that it refers to Christ and the church. However, let each one of you love his wife as himself, and let the wife see that she respects her husband.

2 comments:

Susan said...

You are singing my song! I was thinking last night about a spoof I once saw on marriage (I believe at church) where the guy was speaking, but it was translating to what she was "hearing" in her mind...and then they reversed it. It was funny, but SO TRUE! We still have our moments 20 years later when I think "You think I said, WHAT!?!?!"

Hang in there and know that it will get easier...and persevering is worth it!!

:-) Susan

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

The fact that you care so much will go a long way with her, trust me. I finished a study about marriage wherein the author compared the communication difficulty between sexes as something similar to men hearing with blue hearing aids and women with pink. I kind of smirked at that, but really, there is truth in it.