20070604

Is the summer already over?

I have gone over the calender and I have exactly 8 days that I am not working or have something already planned. *sigh* Does it ever slow down? There are a lot of things I am looking forward to though. We are going to Hershey Park and Williamsburg (at different times). I hope to do a two day trip to Gettysburg with a friend of mine who wrote a Masters thesis on the battle of Antietam - specifically on the portion fought in and around Burnside's Bridge. There are some mundane/work tasks to be done as well. My annual two week annual training for the National Guard, which along with the two other drill weekends, accounts for about nineteen days of my summer. I need to just be grateful that I am even home to consider what little time I do have free. I know several of my fellow soldiers personally that are not going to be able to enjoy even that. Verse for today: Psalm 139:7-12, ESV Where shall I go from your Spirit? Or where shall I flee from your presence? If I ascend to heaven, you are there! If I make my bed in Sheol, you are there! If I take the wings of the morning and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea, even there your hand shall lead me, and your right hand shall hold me. If I say, “Surely the darkness shall cover me, and the light about me be night,” even the darkness is not dark to you; the night is bright as the day, for darkness is as light with you.

2 comments:

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

Oh my ... no time napping in a hammock? I have to tell you that a few years ago, my family went to Gettysburg. We had not idea it was the anniversary of the battle. It was very interesting and humbling. Hershey Park was fun, too, but my kids love rides. I myself love chocolate, so it was good all 'round! I do so want to go to Williamsburg. Please report back on that after you go.

Alise said...

I hope that even in the busyness you'll be able to find SOME rest.

I spent the first 5 years of my life living just outside of Gettysburg, so it holds a pretty dear place in my heart. I'm hoping to get the kids out there at some point to see the battlefields.

I hope you enjoy Williamsburg when you go. We hit Jamestown instead of Williamsburg this year and it was very nice (although I think the folks at Williamsburg take the historical accuracy thing a little more seriously!).

Have a great summer and I'll be in touch with you at some point to talk about how you navigate the school system with an AS kid!