20070605

Cyclical evolutions of society

For some time I have been concerned about the future of America. I love this country, but I have serious concerns with how we abuse the priviledge of freedoms here in United States. The Bible tells us, ""Everything is permissible"—but not everything is beneficial. "Everything is permissible"—but not everything is constructive. Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others." (1 Corinthians 10:23-24, NIV). Even a cursory study of ancient empires such as Rome and Greece shows that a slide into decadence preceeded their falls. Now I am not sure how long those slides were before the end - but it was clear that they defeated themselves within before their enemies from outside finished them off. What stirred this up in my mind of late was a recent show on the History Channel titled "Star Wars: The Legacy Revealed". In it the commentators talk about the Empire and how George Lucas used the falls of those empires as an example for his own story of corruption and the fall of his empire in the movies. But just like I can't figure out why the charecters in the movie did not understand that the fulfilling of the prophecy (in Anikan Skywalker) would bring down their precious order of Jedi - I am thinking that most Americans (and by that I refer to the citizens of the United States) understand that the "freedoms" they indulge in, that go against the ways of God, will eventually erode our society. Perhaps (in my opinion probably) the eventual rotation of America - similar to ancient Rome and Greece. A really good commentary can be found over at Focus on the Family. Yesterday I heard Pastor John McArthur preaching on this very subject. Focus on the Family has a two day series titled, "A Nation Abandoned by God". It really made me think, and it has really motivated me to pray for my country. I know I have been impacted by the very things I fear will erode this country. To my shame I know I have contributed to those very things. But it is by God's grace that I am forgiven - and our country is not beyond hope. Look to Nineveh to see what happens when a country receives the word of God and repents. I worry about these things because this is the country God has placed me. This is the country my children have been born in as well. And it is most likely the place where we will all grow old and die in, and thus generations will continue to dwell here. America is a great country. Her place in history is assured alongside those other great nations, and by God's grace she will see many, many, many more centuries of prominance within the world. A footnote here... I in no way endorse, or participate in, any actions taken against this government. I see people like those who shoot abortion doctors, or try to do things that harm others that do not agree with them as being a black eye on those of us who profess Christ. The only action I can endorse is the activity of prayer and the participation in our electoral system. Engage in the active discussions with elected officials - even the ones that do not agree with you - and let our voice be heard. Do not be the 'silent majority' - we need to be the vocal (not violent) majority. Verse for today: Jonah 3:6-10, ESV The word reached [3] the king of Nineveh, and he arose from his throne, removed his robe, covered himself with sackcloth, and sat in ashes. And he issued a proclamation and published through Nineveh, “By the decree of the king and his nobles: Let neither man nor beast, herd nor flock, taste anything. Let them not feed or drink water, but let man and beast be covered with sackcloth, and let them call out mightily to God. Let everyone turn from his evil way and from the violence that is in his hands. Who knows? God may turn and relent and turn from his fierce anger, so that we may not perish.” When God saw what they did, how they turned from their evil way, God relented of the disaster that he had said he would do to them, and he did not do it.

No comments: