20070425

Modesty and mutual accountability

Last night, as I was sitting in my car watching DS1 soccer practice, I was listening to some Christian radio. Around 6:30 Family Life Today came on. I immediately recognized the voice of my old senior Pastor CJ Mahanney. The topic was on modesty. Specifically in regards to how women dress. Now before anyone brings up how men sometimes need to dress more modestly at times too, or how men need to guard their eyes, minds, and hearts - I would like to say this. If you tell someone to not think of a blue elephant what is the first thing that is going to come to mind. Even if you are trying to not think of it. I would also like to say that those statements are also true. My actual point of my blog today is not to proclaim that it is women and how they dress, or how men need to do certain things. It is about corporate accountability. I hear this all the time, "Judge not, lest you be judged". I would like to put forth that there is a difference between judging someone, and coming alongside someone to talk about something they may (or may not) be seeing. Now an observation may be totally off base, or mistaken (perhaps an assumption is being made) - but what if the observation is correct? Wouldn't it help them to show them an area that can be improved? What about the person bringing the observation? If the person is humble enough a self examination should also take place. Or what if the observation is wrong? Then the 'observer' can also learn from the experience. I guess what I am trying to say that corporate (or mutual) accountability can, and should, be a growth in personal humililty and humbleness. We should enver approach a brother or sister in order to bring them low or exault ourselvs. But it should be a time of growth for both people involved. I know that when I stand before the Throne of God there are a great number of things that I am convinced of that I will be shown wrong. My life is to be a time of sanctification and there is no possible way I can see it all. I need my brother to come alongside me. To gently remove the blinders of my own sin, so that I may continue to grow. I need to also be humble enough to appraoch a brother to try and encourage and help him. Even if I am wrong I need to be humble enough to be open to such a possibility. After all - none of us are perfect. Not even in our walks with the Savior. We should not try and limit God in how He might bring correction into our lives. Better even a firm hand of a brother, then the full weight of God allowing the consequences to fall if a sin is left to run its course. Verse for today: Luke 6:39-42, ESV He also told them a parable: “Can a blind man lead a blind man? Will they not both fall into a pit? A disciple is not above his teacher, but everyone when he is fully trained will be like his teacher. Why do you see the speck that is in your brother's eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye? How can you say to your brother, ‘Brother, let me take out the speck that is in your eye,’ when you yourself do not see the log that is in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take out the speck that is in your brother's eye.

No comments: