20070404

It is our duty

I once heard a Pastor proclaim (quoted from someone else), "sometimes it becomes our first duty to restate the obvious". Two nights ago DS2 came into my room as I was laying in bed (trying to get my back to relax). He wanted to know where I kept the 'little white tapes'. After a few questions to figure out what he was looking for I told him of my "stash". In the back of my closet I have a small box overflowing with small cassette tapes (anyone still use them?) of old sermons and conferences I had attended. I was not really understanding what my 9 yr old son would want with old sermon tapes but I indulged him. A few minutes later I was more than happy to turn off the television as he came back in with his cassette player wanting to listen to the sermon with me. Even though we were only able to listen for fifteen minutes or so it was very nice to listen with my son. "Raise up our children in the way thatr they should go..." that is our charge as parents. We not only need to preach the gospel to ourselves (and those whom God calls around us), but we need to be preaching the gospel to our children. Verse for today: Deuteronomy 6:4-9, ESV Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one. [2] You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might. And these words that I command you today shall be on your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise. You shall bind them as a sign on your hand, and they shall be as frontlets between your eyes. You shall write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates.

3 comments:

Susan said...

That is SO COOL! I am always amazed at what my youngest "DOES" get out of the sermons. And how precious to do it with your own Father. Just think what a Godly man you're raising up there. It's an honor, isn't it???

Have a GREAT week!!

:-) Susan

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

I would be floored if my kid(s) did this! Congratulations to you on raising such a fine young one. It says a couple of things: he loves you, is compassionate, loves the Lord, and is bright. Good job, Dad. Also, come on over to my blog for a little bit of good natured teasing directed your way!

WMD said...

I hope that I can do a good job raising my sons. The oldest is 3 and the youngest 2.5 months.

It is amazing what the 3 yr old picks up on already and I sometimes neglect to teach him as much as I should.