20070405

Deprived or Depraved - you say Toh-mah-to I say Toh-may-to

I had a pretty good chuckle this morning. A fellow blogger, one I like to frequent a few times a week, pointed out a slight grammatical error in one of the comments I left for one of her blog entries. You see she had given up coffee for lent, and while I do not partake of that practice (I am rethinking this BTW) I commented that I felt her pain - of sorts. Recently she had placed a countdown timer for when she could once more enjoy a warm cup of her favorite beverage. I wanted to encourage her that her self deprivation was almost over and that I hoped God would give her the strength to get through her self depravity - ahem. Thankfully she understood what I meant. Grammer has never been a strong suit of mine. At least in the written form. Back in High School (insert joke about being old here) I was not a stellar student. I loved math and aced those courses - along with any sort of 'shop' class I had. English was another matter entirely. I failed all of my English classes since the first semester of the 10th grade. Half way through the 12th grade - realizing that I was not going to graduate with my peers - I dropped out. (I later went and got a G.E.D. though - I needed it for the National Guard.) Later on, while attempting to go to college I found myself in English 010 - not 101 mind you. English 010 was to try and teach me the ways of writing and compositions. It took me four attempts to pass this course. When I finally did pass this pass/fail class I declared my college aspirations dead (at least for now). What is even funnier.... (to me anyway) is that I enjoy writing short stories. I doubt they are really publishable, but it is a fun hobby. I know this is a long entry on my grammer, but I happen to be listening to a tape recently that reminded me that I should never take myself too seriously. Because there really is a lot of me that can bring enjoyment to others in my own short comings. :) Verse for today: Romans 3:21-27, ESV But now the righteousness of God has been manifested apart from the law, although the Law and the Prophets bear witness to it— the righteousness of God through faith in Jesus Christ for all who believe. For there is no distinction: for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and are justified by his grace as a gift, through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus, whom God put forward as a propitiation by his blood, to be received by faith. This was to show God's righteousness, because in his divine forbearance he had passed over former sins. It was to show his righteousness at the present time, so that he might be just and the justifier of the one who has faith in Jesus. Then what becomes of our boasting? It is excluded. By what kind of law? By a law of works? No, but by the law of faith.

1 comment:

Susan said...

I laughed when I read this over at Linda's....but it was kind of a "slip" that had meaning. Thank goodness we live in a world of spell check and Grammar Guard, isn't it?? It makes the writer's life MUCH easier.

:-) Susan